AgencyGeneral Services, Office of
TitleSenior Policy Advisor for Strategic Planning (Special Assistant)
Occupational CategoryAdministrative or General Management
Bargaining UnitM/C - Management / Confidential (Unrepresented)
Salary RangeFrom $95056 to $120156 Annually
Jurisdictional Class Exempt Class
Compressed workweek allowed? No
Minimum Qualifications The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of relevant full-time work experience in public policy, project management, policy analysis, public sector management, research, data analysis, strategic planning, or related fields. An advanced degree in public administration, public policy, management, political science, government, law, or a closely related field preferred.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
• Strong research skills and ability to pro-actively gather and analyze information from disparate sources.
• Excellent project management and organizational skills.
• Exceptional writing skills and ability to summarize complex concepts quickly, clearly, and concisely for audiences at all levels.
• Strong presentation skills and experience producing professional-grade presentation materials using MS PowerPoint.
• Flexibility and comfort with adapting to changing requirements and circumstances.
• Ability to work with substantial independence, take ownership of projects, and successfully manage multiple priorities under pressure.
• Solution-oriented thinking, intellectual curiosity, and ability to seek out innovative solutions to complex problems.
• Eagerness to learn and understand new processes across a variety of different disciplines and sectors.
• Ability to work collaboratively and with professionalism with colleagues at all levels and with external stakeholders.
• Expertise in Microsoft Suite, including advanced PowerPoint and Excel skills, and use of remote presentation tools.
• Familiarity with State government operations or working in a state or local government environment a plus.
Positions are available in New York City and Albany. Please indicate your preferred location when applying.
Duties Description Senior Policy Advisor is a senior role in the Office of Strategic Planning. Under the direction of the Chief Strategy Officer, the incumbent will conduct policy analysis and assessments of OGS operations and develop proposals, decision documents, and briefs to support executive-level decision-making on strategic objectives. The Senior Policy Advisor will also facilitate, lead, and monitor progress on cross-divisional initiatives and assist in implementation of the agency’s strategic plan. Duties include but are not limited to:
Policy and Operations Analysis
• Perform in-depth, self-directed research and analysis on a range of complex issues including State agency business processes and best practices and operating models related to OGS’s major workstreams.
• Conduct assessments of existing and proposed initiatives including review of key dependencies, stakeholder analysis, impacts, resources requirements, success measures, and constraints
• Assist agency leaders in developing business cases and policy proposals related to cross-functional strategic initiatives.
• Develop briefs and presentations concisely summarizing key findings, options, and points of decision; present findings and make recommendations to agency executives.
• Lead and facilitate enterprise-wide initiatives and special projects as needed.
Initiative Implementation and Tracking
• Lead meetings and discussions with agency leaders and other internal stakeholders on implementation of the agency’s strategic initiatives.
• Proactively coordinate with agency leaders and personnel to assess strategic initiative status and verify progress on deliverables and deadlines.
• Closely track the details and status of ongoing strategic initiatives agency-wide using standard project management tools and methods.
• Gather, interpret, and present performance data from disparate sources to measure initiative progress and highlight successes and challenges of implementation.
• Oversee consultant resources as necessary including managing consultant adherence to agreed upon timelines and conducting quality control checks of work product.
• Performing other duties as assigned
• Occasional travel (20%) is required.
Additional Comments About the Office of Strategic Planning:
The Office of Strategic Planning within the Office of the Commissioner develops and refines OGS's strategic direction, manages the development and implementation of the agency's strategic plan, and facilitates major initiatives across divisions to advance strategic priorities. The Office also assesses initiatives and operations to ensure that actions and decision-making are focused, aligned, and coordinated across the organization in support of OGS's strategic goals.
The New York State Office of General Services (OGS) provides essential services to our state and local partners, as well as the general public. From operating buildings, to construction management, establishing procurement contracts, and conducting tours of the Capitol, OGS is truly a diverse organization.
Many state agencies depend on OGS to fulfill their own mission and goals. As such, OGS must always seek to innovate and streamline its business processes, find new ways to serve our customers, and build public trust. OGS is committed to NYS’ larger mission to achieve savings for the state while improving organizational efficiency, and is poised to take on the challenge of creating a modernized government that does more with less. OGS accomplishes this by retooling our focus on critical programs and services; redesigning the way we do business; and retraining our workforce to support a realigned agency.
What we offer:
• Opportunity to join an inspired, high-energy leadership team and guide operational transformation.
• Participation in a team-centric approach to leadership with the ability to learn and grow within an exciting organization.
• Extensive benefits package including paid leave, excellent health, dental, vision and retirement benefits.
NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: Employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to the agency’s Telecommuting Program Guidelines.
Positions in NYC will receive a downstate location pay of $3,026
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address HRresumes@ogs.ny.gov
Street NYS Office of General Services, HRM
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit a cover letter and/or resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications. Indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number of each position you are applying to.