AgencyInformation Technology Services, Office of
TitleInformation Technology Specialist 4 (Information Security) Ref # 30480
Occupational CategoryI.T. Engineering, Sciences
Bargaining UnitPS&T - Professional, Scientific, and Technical (PEF)
Salary RangeFrom $88161 to $111111 Annually
Appointment Type Contingent Permanent
Jurisdictional Class Non-competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? Yes
Street Address Harriman Campus, Building 5, 4th Fl - Albany OR NYC*
Minimum Qualifications Bachelor’s degree* with at least 15 credit hours in cyber security, information assurance, or information technology; and three years of information technology experience, including two years of information security or information assurance experience**.
*Substitution: bachelor's degree candidates without at least 15 course credits in cyber security, information assurance, or information technology require an additional year of general information technology experience to qualify. Appropriate information security or information assurance experience may substitute for the bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis; an associate degree requires an additional two years of general information technology experience.
**Experience solely in information security or information assurance may substitute for the general information technology experience.
• Bachelor's Degree with a concentration or major in Information Security, Cyber Security, Digital Forensics, or a related field.
• Applicable Information Security certificate(s), including but not limited to:
-Certificate in Information Security Auditing (e.g., GCCC, GSNA, CISA)
-Certificate in Information Security Fundamentals (e.g., Security+, GSEC, CISF, GISF, CISSP)
-Certificate in Information Security Risk Management (e.g., CRISC, CAP, GCCC, CCSLP)
-Certificate in Information Systems Auditing (CISM)
• Government security and privacy mandates/regulatory compliance (e.g., HIPAA, PCI, IRS Pub 1075, CJIS)
• Information Security (CIA triad, Information Classification, Risk Management, Incident Response, Vulnerability Management, Security Architecture & Engineering)
• Information Security Frameworks (NIST Cyber Security Framework, CIS Controls, ISO 27000 series)
• IT Management Frameworks (ITIL, COBIT)
• NYS Budget and Procurement processes
• 2+ years’ experience in the following areas:
-Training and/or training program development
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to clearly articulate information technology and information security concepts to a varied audience to facilitate wide understanding.
• Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills.
• Demonstrated skill in facilitating meetings, listening, and negotiating between multiple stakeholders to drive results.
Duties Description Under the direction of senior team members within the Chief Information Security Office/Governance, Compliance, Awareness, & Training (GCAT) unit, the Information Technology Specialist 4 (Information Security) will be responsible for the development and implementation of the Chief Information Security Office’s cybersecurity exercise and training program. This consists of the management of a cyber training program, budget, and procurement, tracking of training activities for all Chief Information Security Office (CISO) staff, and the development of a cybersecurity exercise service. As part of the Awareness and Training unit, the incumbent may also be asked to assist in the promotion of cybersecurity awareness.
The position requires communicating orally and in writing with various individuals including management, users, vendors, and other IT staff.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Manage a cyber security training program for NYS Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) CISO staff.
• Partner with internal stakeholders regarding training needs.
• Supervise staff that establish and maintain relationships with external training suppliers and prepare documents to solicit training proposals and procure training.
• Design, plan, and manage NYS cyber table-top exercises and activities in collaboration with government and business partners.
• Design, plan, and manage NYS phishing exercises and activities in collaboration with government and business partners.
• Schedule planning meetings to plan exercise, conduct, evaluate, and coordinate exercise logistics with Stakeholders.
• Support and participate in national, state, and local government exercises focused on cybersecurity.
• Establish multi-year program plans and priorities, incorporating a progressive planning approach for both training and exercises.
• Develop appropriate documents for exercise scenarios and constraints, design documents, directives, and control plan, as well as after-action reports and improvement plans.
• Handle all logistical requirements of training including venues and equipment.
Additional Comments Positions require fingerprinting.
*Please note, this position may be filled in either Albany or NYC.
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
• Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• Up to 50% telecommuting
• And many more.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address PostingResponses@its.ny.gov
Street Office of Information Technology Services
Human Resources Services - Swan Street Building, Core 4, Floor 1
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please submit a resume and cover letter indicating you are applying for Information Technology Specialist 4
(Information Security) Ref # 30480. In your cover letter, please clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity. Selected candidates who are new or returning to NYS service may be required to pay for fingerprinting fees. New York State is an equal opportunity employer.