AgencyInformation Technology Services, Office of
TitleDirector Internal Audit, Ref #00075
Occupational CategoryAdministrative or General Management
Bargaining UnitM/C - Management / Confidential (Unrepresented)
Salary RangeFrom $116686 to $147256 Annually
Jurisdictional Class Exempt Class
Compressed workweek allowed? Yes
Street Address NYS Office of Information Technology Services
Empire State Plaza, Swan Street Building, Core 4
Minimum Qualifications Bachelor’s degree and seven years of relevant experience.* Relevant experience includes but is not limited to: conducting internal audits following IIA guidance, demonstrated familiarity with federal and state laws, rules, and regulations, and a minimum of two (2) years of management or supervisory experience.
*Substitutions: four years of specialized experience or associate’s degree and two years of specialized experience may substitute for bachelor’s degree; J.D. or master’s degree may substitute for one year of specialized experience; Ph.D. may substitute for two years of specialized experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Duties Description Under the direction of the Director of Enterprise Risk Management, within the Office of the Chief General Counsel - Enterprise Risk Management Bureau, the Director of Internal Audit will manage the internal audit program for the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS), responsible for reviewing agency operations and IT systems to assure compliance with management policies, federal and state laws, rules, and regulations, and the effectiveness of internal controls.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Develop, receive approval for, and execute an annual audit plan, aligning it with the agency's mission and goals to ensure objectives are being met and linking strategic initiatives to the key audit, cyber security, and technology risks;
• Provide objective, independent assurance by evaluating and making recommendations to improve the effectiveness of agency operations, internal control functions, and program efficiencies;
• Help the agency achieve its mission by providing consulting services designed to identify and mitigate risk;
• Meet with Executive staff and program managers to discuss audit findings and recommendations, including but not limited to in periodic formal meetings of an agency audit committee;
• Establish audit schedules for agency operations, modifying as needed to meet priorities or address identified and potential problems;
• Develop, review, and modify audit policies, standards, procedures, guidelines and practices;
• Direct and conduct audits of internal operations and IT systems in accordance with generally accepted professional auditing standards, identify control weaknesses, and recommend corrective actions;
• Prepare and approve detailed reports of findings, with supporting documentation for management and recommendations to resolve problems identified;
• Evaluate the costs and benefits, both short and long term, of auditing modifications and new systems, including various alternatives, to improve compliance with financial standards;
• Advise ITS executive team of effects proposed policy changes might have on internal accounting and auditing controls;
• Develop, revise, and implement training of staff to ensure they have an understanding of management standards and their roles and obligations to ensure adherence to the standards;
• Work with external auditors when they are conducting audits, and contribute to the responses to external audit findings and the processes for implementing corrections for deficiencies;
• Perform regular follow-up on audit findings and recommendations to evaluate the adequacy of corrective actions;
• Prepare, review, and approve an annual independence statement identifying actual and potential impairments to independence;
• Meet with Directors of Internal Audit from other state agencies as needed to share audit resources and best practices with them;
• Perform full range of supervisory responsibilities.
• Experience with both audit management and Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC) software tools.
• Experience with performing technology audits.
Additional Comments Salary commensurate with experience.
*Please note, this position may be filled in either Albany or NYC.
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
• Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• Up to 50% telecommuting
• And many more.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address PostingResponses@its.ny.gov
Swan Street Building, Core 4
Notes on ApplyingTo apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to the attention of Kristin Adiletta by April 7, 2023 and indicate you are applying for Director Internal Audit, Ref #00075. Please clearly indicate how you qualify for this position. Your Social Security number may be required in order to determine eligibility.