AgencyAgriculture & Markets, Department of
Occupational CategoryNo Preference
Bargaining UnitPS&T - Professional, Scientific, and Technical (PEF)
Salary RangeFrom $15.17 to $15.17 Hourly
Jurisdictional Class Non-competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? No
Minimum Qualifications Student Intern Program - Eligibility Requirements:
To be considered for the New New York Leaders: Student Intern Program, students must:
• Be a United States citizen or foreign national eligible to work in the United States
• Be 18 years of age or older
• Be actively enrolled in a New York State college, university, or graduate program, or be a resident of New York State, attending a college, university or graduate program outside of New York State*
• Have completed a minimum of one (1) year as a student at a degree-granting two or four-year college or university (completion of one year's worth of academic credits over a longer period may qualify part-time students for participation in the program), or be a currently enrolled graduate student or accepted in a graduate degree program
• Have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0, or the letter grade equivalent
A student intern should have the following skills:
• Analytical and evaluative skills
• Interpersonal and communication skills
• Organizational skills, efficiency, and flexibility
• Computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft products (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint), email software, internet searching, and other programs
Applicants may come from any academic discipline. Candidates must be available to work at assigned New York State offices. Opportunities are available statewide.
* For Summer Internship applicants only: Attending a New York State school or being a New York State resident is not required.
Duties Description The New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets is seeking two Student Assistants to be located at the New York State Fair in Syracuse, NY.
The New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, through its various divisions and programs, promotes New York agriculture and its high-quality and diverse products, fosters agricultural environmental stewardship, and safeguards the State’s food supply, land, and livestock to ensure the viability and growth of New York’s agriculture industries.
If you would like to work for a premier agency focused on enhancing the quality of life for the people of New York State by supporting production of agriculture; ensuring safe, nutritious, and accessible food supply; providing economic opportunities for farm and rural residents, then the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets is for you.
To learn more about our agency and our mission, please visit https://www.agriculture.ny.gov/.
Public Information Office:
The Public Information Office is responsible for the development and execution of internal and external communication, public information, and media relations for the Department of Agriculture and Markets.
To read more from the Department’s Press Office, please visit https://agriculture.ny.gov/pressroom.
This is a full-time, temporary hourly, non-competitive class position at the New York State Fair and Fairgrounds in Syracuse, New York. The Student Assistant is a PEF bargaining-unit represented position that offers a competitive pay rate of $15.17 an hour.
Under close supervision of higher-level professional staff, the student assistant performs a variety of duties in support of agency programs. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Researches, writes, and reviews content (to be approved by Associate Director of Public Information) for the Fair’s press releases, Fair-related announcements, and website pages.
• Assists Associate Director of Public Information with the filing and distribution of tickets and parking passes for exhibitors and media representatives.
• Develops, maintains, and updates database programs, such as the “Food Finder,” for the State Fair’s website.
• Assists Social Media Manager in the development of editorial calendar(s) to plan and schedule content for promotion across the Fair’s social media platforms.
• Curate content for the Fair’s social media platforms, including writing content and taking photos and videos (under the guidance of Social Media Manager).
• Assist with additional clerical duties that are directly related to the professional-level program administrative responsibilities of the organization.
• Knowledge of social media
• Graphic design experience
• Video shooting and editing experience (using a smartphone)
• Strong writing skills
• Availability to work weekends for the duration of August 23 – September 4, 2023
• Valid Driver’s License
• Knowledge of/experience in fields related to Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Events Management, Agriculture, and Music Industry
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes on ApplyingCandidates that are eligible and interested in being considered for appointment to this position will need an NY.gov ID to access Department of Civil Service online services and apply through the Department of Civil Service Intern Program Portal here: https://nysinternships.cs.ny.gov/nnyl/pre-login.cfm.
If you do not have an NY.gov ID, please create an account here: https://my.ny.gov/LoginV4/login.xhtml.
The deadline to apply for the internship through this portal is June 8, 2023.
If you have any questions, please contact Amy Sacco in Human Resources at (518) 457-3216 or email@example.com.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.