AgencyInformation Technology Services, Office of
TitleInformation Technology Specialist 2 (Programming) – Java Boot Camp
Occupational CategoryI.T. Engineering, Sciences
Bargaining UnitPS&T - Professional, Scientific, and Technical (PEF)
Salary RangeFrom $21.31 to $23.90 Hourly
Jurisdictional Class Non-competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? No
Street Address W.A. Harriman State Campus - Washington Ave
Building 8, Flr 5
Minimum Qualifications Either 1. a bachelor's or higher-level degree including or supplemented by 15 semester credit hours in computer science;
Or 2. a bachelor's or higher-level degree in any field AND one year of experience in information technology;
Or 3. 60 semester credit hours including or supplemented by 15 semester credit hours in computer science AND one year of experience in information technology;
Or 4. two years of experience in information technology.
Duties Description This position is part of the DTF Modernization and will engage in a multi-month Java Boot Camp to gain the necessary skills needed for advancement.
Under the direction of an Information Technology Specialist 3 within the Office of Information Technology Services - Chief Technology Office - Business Applications - Revenue, Finance, and Integrity Portfolio, supporting NYS Taxation and Finance in Albany
The selected candidate will be responsible for all phases of the System Development Life Cycle.
The responsibilities will include both new development as well as maintenance tasks.
This position is responsible for analysis, program development and testing of agency application systems. Illustrative duties include, but are not limited to:
• Coding, testing and maintenance of Java/J2EE applications that are in compliance with program specifications and coding standards
• Create detailed program design specifications for system implementations, Integrations, and enhancements.
• Utilize relevant programming languages, queries, utilities, maintenance tools, and relational databases (e.g. AIX DB2) to troubleshoot, update, and modify the various components.
• Interact with COBOL programs and programmers for integration between front and back end systems
• Identify issues for which a technical solution is required and assisting in continued improvement.
• Communicate technical issues and information effectively, both verbally and in writing, with functional and technical staff to gather technical requirements.
• Identify business requirements to develop automated applications which meet business priorities.
• Collaborate effectively within a team environment, as well as members of other teams as necessary.
• Provide support for end-users and troubleshooting help desk tickets and data issues.
• Facilitate and participate in meetings with ITS and DTF customers.
• Communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing, with DTF management and users, ITS management, and team members.
Must be able to work in a fast paced environment where legislative changes must be quickly implemented.
Additional Comments All Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) employees are required to provide proof of vaccination status through a secure online portal, if vaccinated.
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA
• Up to Eight (8) days of paid sick leave annually for M/C
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• And many more.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address firstname.lastname@example.org
Street NYS Office of Information Technology Services
Swan St Building, Core 4, Floor 1
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, by May 7, 2023, please submit a clear, concise cover letter, resume, and college transcript indicating that you are applying for the Java Boot Camp ITS 2 Programming position and include Vacancy ID 129697 in your subject line. Please clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position.
New York State is an equal opportunity employer. Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.