AgencyEducation Department, State
TitleProject Coordinator, Box PIMS-633/51884
Occupational CategoryNo Preference
Bargaining UnitPS&T - Professional, Scientific, and Technical (PEF)
Salary RangeFrom $108376 to $132732 Annually
Jurisdictional Class Competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? No
Street Address Office of Performance Improvement and Management Services
Information Technology Services Office
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree AND six years of experience as an IT project architectural and technical lead. Three years of qualifying experience must have been at a supervisory level; OR one year of qualifying experience must have been at a managerial level. A master’s degree may substitute for one year of qualifying experience.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
• Three years of experience leading IT teams in programs and projects with significant IT modernization and organizational transformation goals;
• Three years of experience helping to develop, execute, and monitor project plans including scope, schedule, budget, resource, risk management, quality management, and communications plans;
• Two years of experience in vendor and contract management;
• Two years of experience in transforming functional and non-functional requirements into enterprise architectural and solution designs;
• Two years of experience in reviewing and recommending solution architectures and system designs;
• One year of experience managing an IT team and IT consultants;
• Experience with NYS procurement, including the development of procurement materials;
• Demonstrated ability to champion technical change; and
• Demonstrated ability to align architectural and technical project work with strategic IT technology goals in an effort to create actionable project tasks.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) State Aid Management (SAM) unit is seeking candidates for a Project Coordinator position in the Office of Information Technology Services. Under the direction of the Project Director, the incumbent of this position will provide technical leadership and strategy to the SAMS Modernization team and the System Integrator and advise the Project Director of any risks/concerns with technical approach. This is a senior level technical position on the Project Team which requires leadership and strategic thinking. The incumbent of this position will support NYSED’s SAMS Modernization Program as the Architect and Technical Lead for the full implementation. SAMS, in conjunction with dozens of ancillary systems and files, is responsible for the collection, compilation, calculation, analysis, and payment of $30 billion of state aid to 700 public school districts and BOCES in New York State.
• Serve as NYSED’s technical lead for all workstreams and phases in the SAMS Modernization Program.
• Provide leadership and technical direction for entire platform, hold accountability for all technical aspects of platform and dev team, and be responsible for all technical decisions in collaboration with NYSED Enterprise Architecture group.
• Plan, organize, and direct the design and implementation of the enterprise architecture components, platforms, hardware, and software required for the projects within the program.
• Provide platform guidance and standards for dev team, perform code reviews, and assist with development including backfilling as needed.
• Develop recruiting, staffing, training and onboarding plan for dev team, and answer questions, provide guidance, manage work and allocations, remove blockers, and provide technical support and leadership to dev team.
• Provide technical leadership on low-code platform solutions and workaround solutions as needed, and if new to low-code, research and learn platform in order to have full understanding and familiarity with solutions.
• Prioritize technical dependencies for project team, provide technical leadership, solutions and workarounds.
• Understand all as-is current state architecture, interfaces and data flow in order to make informed decision on future state architecture, interfaces and data flow.
• Provide architectural leadership to all workstreams within the SAMS Modernization Program. Review all vendor technical deliverables and advise on feasibility/concerns.
• Ensure selected vendors are performing to specifications during the implementation phase of the SAMS Modernization, mainframe migration and development of accompanying online services projects.
• Develop and maintain all IT architecture plans and diagrams for the SAMS Modernization effort including data models, architecture diagrams, technical design documents. As needed, work in conjunction with System Integrator to develop documentation.
• Coordinate the work of IT staff across multiple project teams and ITS operational teams, including NYSED ITS Business Solutions and Technical Services teams.
• Participate in Enterprise Architecture meetings and drive low-code Center of Excellence.
• Participate in requirements meetings and provide architecture/technical consideration points for future state, including development/confirmation of the “as-is” analysis artifacts, development/confirmation of the future operational models and “to-be” artifacts, development of the future data and architectural models, and development of the roadmap, NPS costs, and staffing needs for implementation of those models.
• Comply with and ensure all dev team members comply with NYSED and NYSED ITS and Information Security Office policies, standards, and procedures.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
This position leads to a maximum salary of $132,732 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 30, 2023 to OMSjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-633/51884) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Name Office of Human Resources Management
Email Address email@example.com
Street NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 30, 2023 to OMSjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-633/51884) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.