AgencyGeneral Services, Office of
TitleProfessional Engineer 1 (Civil/Geotechnical) - VID 130866
Occupational CategoryI.T. Engineering, Sciences
Bargaining UnitPS&T - Professional, Scientific, and Technical (PEF)
Salary RangeFrom $83550 to $105472 Annually
Appointment Type Contingent Permanent
Jurisdictional Class Competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? No
Minimum Qualifications CURRENT STATE EMPLOYEES:
Current New York State employee with one year or more of qualifying permanent service in a position allocated to a Grade 24 or above and eligible for transfer under Section 70.1* of the Civil Service Law.
*Possession of a NYS Professional Engineer’s license with current registration is required.
General Public Minimum Qualifications:
To be considered for this vacancy, all interested candidates must complete the appropriate online exam by the posting close date. The online application can be completed by visiting either https://www.cs.ny.gov/engineering/prom/ for a promotional exam or https://www.cs.ny.gov/engineering/oc/ for an open competitive exam. Please choose the exam that best fits your situation. Any exam applications received after the posting close date will be considered for possible future vacancies.
Candidates must have:
Either 1. a New York State Professional Engineer's license and current registration AND a qualifying bachelor's degree or higher as listed below;
Or 2. a New York State Professional Engineer's license and current registration AND one year of full-time qualifying engineering experience as listed below.
Qualifying degrees: Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Engineering Technology, Environmental Design Engineering, Environmental Resources Engineering, Environmental Systems Engineering, Forest Engineering, Geological Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Structural Engineering, or Engineering Science with a recognized concentration in any of the above listed engineering degrees.
Qualifying experience: New York State Professional Engineer's license and current registration and one year of full-time experience related to geotechnical engineering practices.
Duties Description • Perform engineering duties related to geotechnical engineering projects primarily focusing on determining soil and field material, ground seepage and detailed soil mechanics.
• Gather data relating to bedrock, foundations and aquifer mapping and recommended subsurface construction plans, investigate subsurface conditions and materials, determine the associated engineering properties, and evaluate and/or make design decisions based upon findings.
• Coordinate and review the work of consultant designers including plans, specifications, reports, studies, etc.
• Coordinate with other technical disciplines including but not limited to architects, structural engineers, civil engineers, to ensure technical aspects of projects are properly coordinated.
• Provide geotechnical engineering recommendations and designs to support the Division of Construction’s response to client emergencies, as needed.
• Review work of subordinate staff. Review shop drawings, respond to contractor Requests for Information, create and/or review Information Bulletins, and provide similar construction administration and observation during the project’s construction.
• Perform a full range of supervisory duties.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Some travel is required.
• Continued employment as a Professional Engineer 1 (Civil/Construction) is dependent upon continued possession of a New York State Professional Engineers License with current registration. Failure to maintain a New York State License and current registration will result in removal from employment.
Additional Comments NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: Employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to the agency’s Telecommuting Program Guidelines.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address HRresumes@ogs.ny.gov
Street NYS Office of General Services, HRM
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit a cover letter and/or resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications. Indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number of each position you are applying to.