AgencyInformation Technology Services, Office of
TitleCyber Command Center Director (Information Security Manager), Ref #18863
Occupational CategoryI.T. Engineering, Sciences
Bargaining UnitM/C - Management / Confidential (Unrepresented)
Salary RangeFrom $116868 to $147256 Annually
Jurisdictional Class Non-competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? Yes
Street Address W. Averell Harriman State Office Campus, Building 5, 4th Floor
OR NYC or other locations statewide*
Minimum Qualifications Bachelor’s degree with at least 15 credit hours in cyber security,
information assurance or information technology and six years of information technology experience, including five years of information security or information assurance experience and four years at a supervisory level or two years at a managerial level.
Note: Bachelor's degree candidates without at least 15 course credits in cyber security, information assurance, or information technology require an additional year of general information technology experience to qualify. Appropriate information security or information assurance experience may substitute for the bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis; an associate's degree requires an additional two years of general information technology experience. Experience solely in information security or information assurance may substitute for the general information technology experience.
• Bachelor or Master’s degree with a concentration or major in Information Security, Information Technology, or a related field.
• Certifications in one or more of the following:
o Cyber Defense (e.g., GCIA, GCIH, GCED, GSOM, GSOC, GMON, GCDA)
o Cyber Threat Intelligence (e.g., GCTI, CTIA, CCIP, GOSI)
o Information Security Management (e.g., CISSP, CISM, CCISO)
• 5+ years’ experience in one or more of the following:
o Leading a team in related work
o Applying and implementing network and/or system security
o Managing or performing cybersecurity incident response
o Technical writing
• 3+ years’ experience in one or more of the following:
o Developing metrics and key performance indicators
o Process development and process improvement
• 2+ years’ experience in developing communications and reports for executive management and high-level officials (e.g. Governor’s office or similar)
• Strong understanding of enterprise IT environments, including but not limited to system administration, network architecture, operating systems, endpoint detection and response tools, and network-based security solutions (e.g., IDS/IPS, firewalls).
• Strong understanding of the foundations of Information Security, such as the CIA triad, information classification, identity and access management, risk management, vulnerability management, secure architecture and engineering, network security, software development security, etc.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to clearly articulate information technology and information security concepts to a varied audience to facilitate wide understanding.
• Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret clearance.
Duties Description Under the direction of senior team members within the Chief Information Security Office (CISO) Division of the New York State Office of Information Technology Services, the Information Security Manager will serve as the Director of the Cyber Command Center.
The Cyber Command Center provides detection and response services for New York State government entities and is made up of the NYS Security Operations Center (NYSOC) Albany location, the Cyber Incident Response Team (CIRT), and the Red Team (RT) section. The NYSOC is a team of analysts who serve as a central resource that is responsible for the intake, triage, response, and escalation of a wide variety of security events and alerts for NYS systems statewide. The Cyber Incident Response Team (CIRT) assists entities in assessing the scope, magnitude and source of cyber intrusions and makes recommendations to prevent recurrence. The Red Team is responsible for advanced security testing of systems and applications, support and management of the secure lab environment, and the automation of processes within the Cyber Command Center. All sections work together to maintain up-to-date situational awareness/tracking on tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) to obtain tactical and strategic advantage over adversaries and proactively and iteratively search through logs to detect, validate, correlate and analyze advanced threats that may evade existing security solutions. This position will regularly interface with the CISO Executive team and senior management within ITS regarding enterprise and CISO operational issues.
This position requires the incumbent to possess an understanding of the current cyber threat landscape, the tactics, techniques, and procedures commonly leveraged, and the steps necessary to swiftly identify and contain a potential cyber threat. Additionally, this position requires the incumbent to act with a great deal of independence and the ability to adapt quickly to a rapidly evolving situation.
Due to the nature of the work performed by the Cyber Command Center, this position requires availability during off-shift hours to ensure appropriate response to security incidents or other critical activities as needed.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Lead and direct the activities of the Cyber Command Center across multiple section managers and drive the strategic goals of the unit.
• Supervise staff in the proper performance of their duties. Monitor progress, review major initiatives and projects, and take appropriate action as needed.
• Develop, oversee, and maintain a program for Cyber Command, including security event monitoring, incident detection and response, digital forensics, and threat intelligence.
• Implement and enforce policies and procedures within the bureau that reflect applicable laws, policies, procedures, and regulations.
• Manage the publishing of incident response guidance for the constituency.
• Provide incident reports, summaries, and other situational awareness information to higher level executives.
• Manage an incident (e.g., coordinate documentation, work efforts, resource utilization within the organization) from inception to final remediation and after-action reporting.
• Manage analysis and distribution of threat or target information within the enterprise.
• Manage the monitoring of external data sources to maintain situational awareness.
• Interface with external organizations to ensure appropriate and accurate dissemination of incident and other information.
• Manage a spend plan for all areas of responsibility.
• Make recommendations on purchases needed to support the program.
• Participate in talent management (acquisition, retention, training, etc.) within the Division.
• Maintain a working knowledge of information security best practices.
• Keep abreast of current threats and research in the area of information security/cyber security.
• Support CISO project initiatives and all other projects as assigned.
• Maintain an adequate level of current knowledge and proficiency in information security through annual Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits directly related to information security.
• Perform the full range of managerial supervisory responsibilities.
• Perform additional duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Background check and fingerprinting are required.
*Please note, this position may be filled in either Albany, NYC, or other locations statewide.
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
• Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• Up to 50% telecommuting
• And many more.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address email@example.com
Street Office of Information Technology Services
Human Resources Services-Swan Street Building, Core 4, Floor 1
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please send a cover letter and resume and indicate that you are applying for Cyber Command Center Director (Information Security Manager), Ref #18863 and include the vacancy ID. In your cover letter, please clearly indicate how you qualify for this position.
Your Social Security number may be required in order to confirm your eligibility. Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity. Selected candidates who are new or returning to NYS service may be required to pay for fingerprinting fees. New York State is an equal opportunity employer.