AgencyInformation Technology Services, Office of
TitleInformation Technology Specialist 2 (Information Security) Ref 18601
Occupational CategoryI.T. Engineering, Sciences
Bargaining UnitPS&T - Professional, Scientific, and Technical (PEF)
Salary RangeFrom $61270 to $77912 Annually
Appointment Type Contingent Permanent
Jurisdictional Class Non-competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? Yes
Street Address Harriman State Office Campus Bldg 5, 4th Fl Albany
OR NYC or other locations statewide*
Minimum Qualifications bachelor’s degree* with at least 15 credit hours in cyber security, information assurance, or information technology.
*Substitution: bachelor's degree candidates without at least 15 course credits in cyber security, information assurance, or information technology require an additional year of general information technology experience to qualify. Appropriate information security or information assurance experience may substitute for the bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis; an associate's degree requires an additional two years of general information technology experience.
• Applicable Information Security or Information Technology certificate(s) such as Security+, Network+, GSEC, etc.
• Knowledge or Experience in one or more of the following areas:
o applying and implementing network, system, or application security
o security policy/standard/guideline development, implementation, or interpretation
o conducting risk assessments and evaluating information technology systems for security controls (SSDLC)
o information security incident response
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to clearly articulate information technology and information security concepts to a varied audience to facilitate wide understanding
• Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills
Duties Description Under the direction of a Lead Information Security Analyst, ITS 3 [SG 23], within the Chief Information Security Office/Integrated Security Services/Security Services Team the position will be a member of a Security Services Team that provides security services to one or more ITS Portfolios and their client agencies. The incumbent will provide in-depth information security consulting and services aligned with business needs of the client agencies to ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information and systems.
The position requires communicating orally and in writing with various individuals including management, users, vendors, and other IT staff. The incumbent will have to work with ITS teams and upper-level agency management to resolve technically complex and politically sensitive issues under pressure.
The position requires availability during off-shift hours to ensure appropriate response to security incidents or other critical activities that may impact sensitive information, critical systems, NYS agencies, or ITS.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Assists with Implementation of information security and compliance programs.
• Aids in the management and resolution of security threats to agency information systems under the guidance of team leaders.
• Serves as information security support, and evaluates systems and contracts for alignment with agency and State information security policies:
• Monitors and stays aware of information security industry trends, tools, and techniques.
• Performs additional duties as required.
Additional Comments Background check and fingerprinting are required.
This position may be filled in New York City.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, which includes:
• Choice of several low and competitive health insurance plans
• Dental & vision insurance at no additional cost
• Membership in the NYS Retirement System
• Deferred Compensation Investment Plan
• Minimum of 13 vacation days per year
• 13 sick days per year
• 5 days of personal leave per year
• 12 paid holidays per year
• Tuition reimbursement
• Training & development opportunities
• Up to 50% Telecommuting
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS)
New York State is an equal opportunity employer.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address PostingResponses@its.ny.gov
Swan Street Building, Core 4, Floor 1
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit a clear, concise cover letter and resume, indicating that you are applying for Information Technology Specialist 2 (Information Security) Ref 18601 and Vacancy ID. Please describe how you qualify.