AgencyInformation Technology Services, Office of
TitleManager Information Technology Services 2 (Information Security), Ref #30499
Occupational CategoryI.T. Engineering, Sciences
Bargaining UnitPS&T - Professional, Scientific, and Technical (PEF)
Salary RangeFrom $108376 to $132732 Annually
Jurisdictional Class Non-competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? Yes
Street Address CNSE - ZEN - 201 Fuller Road, Floor 2
OR NYC or other locations statewide*
Minimum Qualifications Bachelor’s degree with at least 15 credit hours in cyber security,
information assurance or information technology and five years of information technology experience, including four years of information security or information assurance experience and three years at a supervisory level or one year at a managerial level**.
Note: bachelor's degree candidates without at least 15 course credits in cyber security, information assurance, or information technology require an additional year of general information technology experience to qualify. Appropriate information security or information assurance experience may substitute for the bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis; an associate degree requires an additional two years of general information technology experience. Experience solely in information security or information assurance may substitute for the general information technology experience.
**Experience solely in information security or information assurance may substitute for the general information technology experience.
• Certifications in one or more of the following:
o Cyber Defense (e.g., GCIA, GCIH, GCED, GSOM, GSOC, GMON, GCDA)
o Cyber Threat Intelligence (e.g., GCTI, CTIA, CCIP, GOSI)
o Information Security Management (e.g., CISSP, CISM, CCISO)
• 5+ years’ experience in one or more of the following:
o working as a senior SOC analyst
o conducting log analysis (e.g., firewall logs, DNS logs, proxy logs, IDS/IPS logs)
o using SIEM technologies to support in-depth investigations
• 3+ years’ experience in one or more of the following:
o Working as a SOC manager or team lead
o participating in cyber incident response
• Strong understanding of enterprise IT environments, including but not limited to system administration, network architecture, operating systems, endpoint detection and response tools, and network-based security solutions (e.g., IDS/IPS, firewalls).
• Strong understanding of the foundations of Information Security, such as the CIA triad, information classification, identity and access management, risk management, vulnerability management, secure architecture and engineering, network security, software development security, etc.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to clearly articulate information technology and information security concepts to a varied audience to facilitate wide understanding.
• Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills.
Duties Description Under the direction of the Director of the Cyber Command Center within the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS)/Chief Information Security Office (CISO)/Cyber Command Center, the incumbent will provide technical direction, vision, and management oversight of all NYS Security Operations Center (NYSOC) functions and personnel in the Albany location. The NYSOC is a team of analysts who serve as the primary point for the intake, triage, response, and escalation of a wide variety of security events for NYS systems statewide. The NYSOC is also responsible for the ingestion and response to all forms of vulnerability announcements and threat intelligence received from many third parties such as vendors, DHS CISA, MS-ISAC, NYSP, and other sources of open-source intelligence.
This position requires the incumbent to possess an excellent understanding of the current cyber threat landscape, the tactics, techniques, and procedures commonly leveraged, and the steps necessary to swiftly identify and contain a potential cyber threat. It also requires the incumbent to have a good understanding of the complexity and architecture design commonly employed in large enterprise IT environments. Additionally, this position requires an incumbent to act with a great deal of independence in alignment with agency and upper-level management strategic direction.
Due to the nature of the work performed by the NYSOC, this position requires availability during off-shift hours to ensure appropriate response to security incidents or other critical activities as needed.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Provide technical direction and support for the NYSOC program.
• Drive the strategic goals for the NYSOC, aligned with the strategic direction of ITS and CISO.
• Participate in and oversee the security event intake, triage, and response process as a subject matter expert in security event analysis.
• Develop a robust threat intelligence response and threat hunting program within the NYSOC to ensure a timely and effective response to new cyber threats.
• Oversee efforts to appropriately tune the detections and performance of multiple security tools such as intrusion detection/intrusion prevention systems (IDS/IPS), endpoint detection and response (EDR) tools, antivirus/antimalware, and security incident and event management (SIEM) to increase the quality of generated alerts.
• Coordinate the development and maintenance of NYSOC standard operating procedures and performance standards, and ensure they are appropriately followed.
• Supervise staff in the proper performance of their duties. Monitor progress, reviews major staff initiatives and projects, and take appropriate action as needed.
• Develop a training program for NYSOC staff at multiple levels to ensure staff have the skills needed to effectively perform the job.
• Implement a set of metrics and key performance indicators for NYSOC operations to demonstrate program effectiveness and identify areas for improvement.
• Manage the Managed Security Services contract to ensure all devices are enrolled and functional, and a focus on tuning performance to increase the quality of alerts.
• Oversee the sharing of vulnerability notifications and cyber threat intelligence with various stakeholders throughout NYS.
• Perform the full range of administrative supervisory responsibilities.
Additional Comments Background check and fingerprinting are required.
*Please note, this position may be filled in either Albany, NYC, or other locations statewide.
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
• Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• Up to 50% telecommuting
• And many more.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address firstname.lastname@example.org
Street Office of Information Technology Services
Human Resources Services-Swan Street Building, Core 4, Floor 1
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY: Please submit a clear, concise cover letter and resume, indicating that you are applying for Manager Information Technology Services 2 (Information Security), Ref #30499 and Vacancy ID describing how you qualify. Your Social Security number may be required in order to confirm eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity. Selected candidates who are new or returning to NYS service may be required to pay for fingerprinting fees. New York State is an equal opportunity employer.