7900 Green Lakes Road
Minimum Qualifications One year of experience in the operation and / or maintenance of a park, historic site, golf course, or recreational facility. In addition to operations and maintenance, the following types of experience are also qualifying: law enforcement or security, firefighting, environmental education, environmental stewardship, natural resource management, forest management, wildlife management or preservation, or historic preservation or interpretation; OR
One year of military service in any of the military branches; OR
An Associate’s or higher-level degree, or 60 credit hours of college level coursework; OR
Completion of an appropriate two-year technical / trades school program or two years' experience as a trades assistant under the supervision of a skilled tradesperson.
Duties Description DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general supervision of higher-level personnel, the incumbent will:
• Operate and perform routine maintenance on a variety of power-driven mechanical equipment, including trucks, tractors, mowers, and power saws.
• Load and unload cargo from vehicles and storage.
• Perform building and grounds maintenance, including trash collection and restroom cleaning.
• Perform semi-skilled maintenance and repair activities in a variety of trades, such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical, masonry, and mechanical repairs.
• Assist in building and repairing roads, paths, picnic tables, benches, trails and park equipment, and works in other areas of the park operations as needed.
• Assign, supervise, review, train, and evaluate work of lower level-employees.
• Assist in emergency situations by applying emergency procedures and practices, assisting and directing staff, and working with patrons to minimize potential problems.
• Assist in snow removal, shoveling snow, and operate vehicles to plow snow during the winter months.
Additional Comments OPERATIONAL NEEDS:
Must be able to work a variable schedule and will be required to work weekends and evening hours as needed.
Must be physically able to perform medium to heavy physical labor.
Must possess and maintain a valid New York State driver’s license as a term and condition of employment.
Must be able to communicate effectively with other staff and park patrons.
There are various benefits that a permanent employee is entitled to, based on their negotiating unit:
• Vacation, Holiday, Sick, And Personal Leave - leave benefits including 13 days of paid vacation leave in the first year of employment with bonus days for additional years of service; 12 days annual paid holidays; five days annual paid personal leave; and 13 days of annual paid sick leave.
• Health Care Coverage
• Retirement Plan
• Payroll Deduction Savings Plans
• Tuition Assistance Programs
• Life Insurance and Disability Insurance
Learn more about our benefits for permanent state employees, visit: https://parks.ny.gov/employment/benefits.aspx
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingIf you feel you meet the minimum qualifications and the agency’s operating needs, and are interested in being considered for this vacancy, you can obtain an Employment Application from your local park office, your region’s administrative headquarters or you can download an application from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at https://parks.ny.gov/regions/central/default.aspx.
Please forward your application and resume, if available, to Cinda Pierce, NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, 6105 East Seneca Turnpike, Jamesville, NY 13078 or email to Central.Employment@parks.ny.gov. If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Charles Halligan at (315) 492-1756.
It is the responsibility of each applicant to accurately describe their experience and demonstrate that they meet the minimum qualifications and agency operating needs.
Join our team! Come see why it's great to work for New York State!