Minimum Qualifications Appointment method:
This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class. As such, the incumbent of this position would serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
Duties Description The New York State Department of Financial Services seeks to build an equitable, transparent, and resilient financial system that benefits individuals and supports business. Through engagement, data-driven regulation and policy, and operational excellence, the Department and its employees are responsible for empowering consumers and protecting them from financial harm; ensuring the health of the entities we regulate; driving economic growth in New York through responsible innovation; and preserving the stability of the global financial system.
The Department of Financial Services is seeking candidates for the position of Deputy Director of Legislative Affairs in the External Affairs & Strategy Unit. Duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Works with Assistant Deputy Superintendent of Legislative Affairs in developing and advocating for a strategic legislative agenda, and advancing the narrative to related governmental entities such as the State Legislature and the Executive Chamber regarding financial services legislation for Governor’s Program Bills and Department of Financial Services departmental bills;
• Focuses on legislative issues related to insurance, cybersecurity and climate;
• Acts as point of contact and coordinates with other governmental entities on DFS priorities;
• Analyzes and interprets legal questions that arise in connection with the activities of the Department and the development of the agency’s legislative program;
• Coordinates the study, review, revision and preparation of the rules and regulations promulgated by the Department of Financial Services;
• Develops relationships with federal, state, and local elected officials to advance DFS’s mission and goals;
• Works with Assistant Deputy Superintendent of Legislative Affairs (in identifying emerging financial services issues in the state legislature;
• Works with Assistant Deputy Superintendent of Legislative Affairs in the preparation of briefing materials for the Superintendent regarding appearances at legislative committee meetings, hearings and related events;
• In Assistant Deputy Superintendent of Legislative Affairs’ absence, acts as representative of the Superintendent and as a liaison between DFS and various special interest groups and related governmental entities for DFS activities, legislation, etc. and advises these groups on the Department’s position; and
• Researches and prepares legislative correspondence on complicated sections of law and/or supervises subordinate staff in the performance of this duty.
• Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience.
*Substitutions: four years of specialized experience or associate’s degree and two years of specialized experience may substitute for bachelor’s degree; J.D. or master’s degree may substitute for one year of specialized experience; Ph.D. may substitute for two years of specialized experience.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Appointment to this position is pending Governor Appointment’s Office and Division of Budget approval.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than June 22, 2023 to the email address listed below. Please include Box# (Box DDLA-SA-00112) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301
Albany, NY 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Employment with New York State qualifies an individual for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). This program forgives the remaining balance on any Direct Student Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time for a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization. To learn more about the program and whether you would qualify, please visit: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.