110 State Street
Minimum Qualifications You must be currently reachable on the appropriate eligible list for this title, eligible under the 55 b/c program (see below), or eligible to transfer to this title under Section 52.6 or 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
For a 52.6 transfer to a(n) Information Technology Specialist 2, SG-18, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 52.6 title allocated to a salary grade 16 or above.
For a 70.1 transfer to a(n) Information Technology Specialist 2, SG-18, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 16 or above.
To determine if your current Civil Service title is eligible for transfer to this title, visit the Career Mobility GOT-IT website: Career Mobility Office » GOT-IT (ny.gov)
Appointments via transfer must not result in a second, consecutive transfer with an advancement of more than two S-grades or one M-grade.
This position may be designated 55 b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility.
For a 55 b/c appointment, you must:
• Possess the minimum qualifications for the selected title as established by the Department of Civil Service and listed on the most recent exam announcement. (Information Technology Specialist 1 & 2 » Department of Civil Service (ny.gov) or ITS Series (ny.gov))
• Meet the applicable minimal mental and/or physical requirements for the job (with a reasonable accommodation, if necessary)
• Have a current Eligibility Letter from the NYS Department of Civil Service, www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/, and be able to provide it to the Human Resources Office upon request.
Duties Description • Perform duties to support the Local Area Network (LAN)/Wide Area Network (WAN) environment.
• Assist with upgrading network devices to latest recommended code levels.
• Maintain and troubleshoot data communication between endpoints using networking tools.
• Monitor and tune network equipment performance.
• Assist customers in identifying network communications needs.
• Install and maintain cabling in data center and network rooms.
• Troubleshoot cabling issues using network testing equipment.
• Document cabling information for use with network troubleshooting.
• Assist with the planning and installation of new data cabling.
• Perform site surveys for optimal wireless network performance.
• Respond to and address network outages related to wireless network infrastructure.
• Maintain recommended code levels on wireless controllers and access points.
• Assist in addressing relevant Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) on the Office of the State Comptroller (OSC) network devices.
• Collaborate with OSC Enterprise Information Security Office on the Intrusion Detection System (IDS)/Intrusion Prevention System (IPS).
Additional Comments Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Demonstrated experience with CISCO IOS (Internetwork Operating System) (1 year to 2 years).
• Demonstrated experience with hardware and software troubleshooting.
• Demonstrated experience of Category 5E, 6, and fiber optic cabling standards.
• Working knowledge of basic network terminology, concepts, and protocols.
• Familiarity with network security best practices and standards.
• Demonstrated experience with creating Visio diagrams.
• Exceptional customer service skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a dynamic team environment.
• Strong analytical thinker with excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to interact with technical and business staff alike.
The Office of the New York State Comptroller (OSC) supports telecommuting where it is reasonable to do so based upon the agency’s mission and operational needs. Generally, employees new to OSC will be restricted from telecommuting for at least 8 calendar weeks. After the initial 8 calendar week restriction, if an employee’s duties and work performance are aligned with telecommuting they may be allowed to do so. Upon approval to telecommute, OSC employees may telecommute up to 5 days per pay period.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street, 12th Floor
Notes on ApplyingSubmit a clear, concise cover letter and resume stating how you meet the above minimum qualifications to email@example.com, no later than June 12, 2023. Reference Item #00859-OER-JAM-EMZ in the subject line and on the cover letter for proper routing.
If you have questions about this vacancy, please contact this Division representative:
Division contact: Elizabeth Gifford, CIO_HR@osc.ny.gov
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section only. The OER ID # should not be included.