110 State Street
Minimum Qualifications You must be currently reachable on the appropriate eligible list for this title, eligible under the 55 b/c program (see below), or eligible to transfer to this title under Section 70.1 or 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
For a 70.1 transfer to a Payroll Analyst 1, SG-18, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 16 or above.
70.1 Transfer to a trainee 2:
For a 70.1 transfer to the trainee 2, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 12 or above.
70.1 Transfer to a trainee 1:
For a 70.1 transfer to the trainee 1, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 11 or above.
For a 52.6 transfer to a Payroll Analyst 1, SG-18, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 52.6 title allocated to a salary grade 16 or above.
52.6 Transfer to a trainee 2:
For a 52.6 transfer to the trainee 2, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 52.6 title allocated to a salary grade 12 or above.
52.6 Transfer to a trainee 1:
For a 52.6 transfer to the trainee 1, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 52.6 title allocated to a salary grade 11 or above.
To determine if your current Civil Service title is eligible for transfer to this title, visit the Career Mobility GOT-IT website: Career Mobility Office » GOT-IT (ny.gov)
Appointments via transfer must not result in a second, consecutive transfer with an advancement of more than two S-grades or one M-grade.
55 b/c Appointment:
For a 55 b/c appointment, you must:
• Possess the minimum qualifications for the selected title as established by the Department of Civil Service and listed on the most recent exam announcement.
• Meet the applicable minimal mental and/or physical requirements for the job (with a reasonable accommodation, if necessary)
• Have a current Eligibility Letter from the NYS Department of Civil Service, www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/, and be able to provide it to the Human Resources Office upon request.
Duties Description • Reviews and audits payroll transactions for accuracy.
o Analyze data and resolve complex auditing problems.
o Run queries and initiate post audit review of transactions.
o Provide assistance to other Deductions staff and customers and determine corrective action for audit problems.
• Provide payroll information to State agencies and vendors.
o NYS agencies and vendors with deduction related information via telephone and email.
o Research and analyze deduction records.
o Coordinate staff responses to correspondence and telephone calls from vendors, employees, and agencies.
• Business Documentation
o Identify and document business process improvements within the Deductions and Tax Administration Team.
o Maintain existing business process documentation.
o Prepare Operations Requirement Documents to communicate necessary system changes to the Systems Support Group.
o Prepare written Payroll Bulletins to communicate necessary information to agency payroll officers.
Additional Comments Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Excellent analytical and organization skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills (presentations before small and large groups is expected)
• Detail orientated, and produces an accurate and timely work product
• Works well independently and in a team environment
• Ability to respond to written inquiries and telephone calls from NYS employees and vendors, regarding deduction issues
• Ability to analyze and review, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly and quarterly reports
• Ability to prepare timely, accurate, thoughtful deduction related research
• Ability to locate, research, communicate, and document any discrepancies or unusual circumstances
• Ability to reconcile complex business reports and identify discrepancies
• Ability to run, write and modify SQL queries
• Excellent MS Excel skills
• Ability to empower and engage staff, and provide training, coaching and guidance to develop employees
• Ability to assess multiple competing priorities
The Office of the New York State Comptroller (OSC) supports telecommuting where it is reasonable to do so based upon the agency’s mission and operational needs. Generally, employees new to OSC will be restricted from telecommuting for at least 8 calendar weeks. After the initial 8 calendar week restriction, if an employee’s duties and work performance are aligned with telecommuting they may be allowed to do so. Upon approval to telecommute, OSC employees may telecommute up to 5 days per pay period.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street, 12th Floor
Notes on ApplyingSubmit a clear, concise cover letter and resume stating how you meet the above minimum qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than June 12, 2023. Reference Item #02151-OER-CMS in the subject line and on the cover letter for proper routing.
If you have questions about this vacancy, please contact this Division representative:
Division contact: Amanda Ciano, email@example.com
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section only. The OER ID # should not be included.