50 Wolf Road
Minimum Qualifications This position requires a New York State Professional Engineer License and current registration. To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law.
If a viable eligible list does not exist, a provisional appointment may be made in accordance with Civil Service Law. Candidates who accept a provisional appointment must take the next competitive examination and be reachable on the resultant eligible list to be considered for permanent appointment to the position. The minimum requirements for taking the examination are: a valid NYS Professional Engineer’s License with current registration and one year of permanent competitive service as an Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation).
Duties Description The incumbent will be required to provide design or construction project management services in support of the Department’s capital program. Candidates are not expected to have expertise in all of the duties below. Under the supervision of a Professional Engineer, duties could include, but are not limited to:
• Support the delivery of Major Design-Build Projects: assist design and/or construction Project Managers to manage project schedules; interpret policy, standards, and the RFP requirements; resolve project issues; avoid disputes; and deliver quality projects on-time and on-budget.
• Support procurement teams to develop Request for Proposal (RFP) documents for Design-Build projects in coordination with design consultants and regional staff.
• Assist with the review of contractor owned schedules; review work for compliance with Critical Path Method Scheduling (CPM) Progress Schedule requirements; resolve difficult or complex time related project issues throughout the lifecycle of the project. This may include all Capital Program projects, with a focus will be on priority and complex projects.
• Plan and schedule projects: support the Capital Program Management team to develop policy and manage the implementation of the Department’s Enterprise P6 software to manage the delivery of the capital program.
• Manage consultants and consultant agreements.
• Prepare, update, and/or review Engineering Instructions, Engineering Bulletins, policies, procedures, guidance, special specifications, and training manuals related to project management and construction contract administration.
• Represent the Project Management Office in a variety of work teams to develop and improve program and project management policies, procedures, guidance, and manuals.
This position also requires:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to negotiate fairly and resolve conflicts.
• Ability to research, compile, organize, analyze and evaluate information from a variety of sources and prepare recommendations and proposals.
• Ability to conduct meetings and make presentations to groups.
• Up to 10% travel to project Field Offices and/or Regional Offices (occasional overnight travel may be required).
Experience & knowledge of the planning, design, construction, and maintenance of highways and transportation facilities is essential. Expertise may vary across all civil engineering disciplines.
Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Additional Comments *Telecommuting: Opportunities to telecommute will be discussed at interview.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
50 Wolf Rd, 6th Floor
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume, titled by last name, with the Notice Number MO-23-415 and last name in the subject line and referenced in the letter of interest no later than December 31st, 2023