Life Sciences Innovation Building, 150 New Scotland Avenue
Minimum Qualifications G31 - Doctorate in the natural sciences and three years of professional post-degree research experience in the appropriate field; or a Master's Degree and five years of such experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Documented research expertise including studies on basic biological processes in bacteria, and mechanisms of pathogenesis and antimicrobial resistance.
Duties Description The Research Scientist 5 will conduct independent research on molecular genetics of bacteria or viruses to determine mechanisms of drug resistance and pathogenesis. The incumbent will work towards cross disciplinary synergy with other Wadsworth Research groups working under the broad umbrella of Bacterial and Viral Drug Resistance. Bacterial Pathogens might include Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Salmonella, Clostridium difficile, Enterobacteriaceae, Legionella and Borrelia species. Studying mechanisms of drug resistance would also include eukaryotic viruses.
Additional Comments Permanent, non-competitive, fulltime. Since exposure to potentially hazardous substances may be involved with this position, the selected candidate will be required to wear personal protective clothing and equipment. Work hours may be variable. Some travel may be required.
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA
• Up to Eight (8) days of paid sick leave annually for M/C
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• And many more...
For more information on the NYS Department of Health’s Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Plan, please visit: https://health.ny.gov/commissioner/index.htm
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on Applying Please submit your resume and cover letter, preferably in PDF format, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Reference NMH/RS5/11417 included in the subject line or by mail to Human Resources Management Group, NMH/RS5/11417, Rm 2217, Corning Tower Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237-0012, or by fax to (518) 473-3395. Failure to include the required information may result in your resume not being considered for this position. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.