Office of Charter Schools
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Candidates must have been admitted to the New York State Bar AND have three years of legal experience in Education Law OR civil litigation OR legal writing experience such as appellate brief writing OR judicial clerkship experience.
• Experience with administrative proceedings and litigation;
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills; and
• Managerial or supervisory experience.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (SEDs) Charter School Office is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant Counsel. It is the responsibility of the Charter School Office to create and sustain excellent educational options for New York State families on behalf of the Board of Regents through high-quality charter-school authorizing, fair and transparent oversight of all charter schools, and the dissemination of innovative school designs and practices. The incumbent of this position will provide legal support to charter schools, charter-school authorizers, school districts, SED staff and managers, members of the Board of Regents, and others concerning New York State Statute, Rules and Regulations. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Draft Commissioner’s Regulations related to charter schools for adoption by the Board of Regents;
• Serve as liaison with SED’s Office of Counsel on Freedom of Information Law requests, and legal issues and litigation related to charter schools;
• Prepare, issue, and respond to requests for legal and corporate documents for all New York State charter schools, and maintain the Charter School Office’s Microsoft Access database;
• Prepare correspondence and materials related to corrective action, probation, non-renewal, charter revocation and school closure decisions concerning charter schools;
• Conduct legal research, and provide guidance, advice, and information to stakeholders concerning proposed charters, charter renewals, charter revisions, and other charter issues as needed;
• Review and make recommendations on charter revision requests concerning Regents authorized charter schools and proposed charter revisions from other charter authorizers;
• Prepare and edit items for submission to the Board of Regents for all matters related to charter schools;
• Respond to Freedom of Information Law requests and requests from media for information and documents related to charter schools;
• Prepare web-based and written material for the field on charter school issues to educate and assist in assuring compliance with federal and State requirements;
• Respond to complaints received from external stakeholders, investigate allegations, and prepare a record as necessary to facilitate a decision by the Commissioner of Education;
• Educate and train Charter School Office staff on the requirements of applicable laws, regulations, and internal policies and procedures; and
• Review and edit written documents prepared by Charter School Office staff, and supervise staff as needed.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of admission to the New York State Bar will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to be admitted to the New York State Bar at the time of hire. Continued employment as an Assistant Counsel is dependent upon maintaining admission to the New York State Bar. Failure to maintain admission to the New York State Bar will result in removal from employment. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of the Budget approval.
Based on this position’s location, in addition to the listed base salary, this position also receives a $3,087 Downstate Adjustment.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by January 4, 2024 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-1079/00104) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by January 4, 2024 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-1079/00104) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.