Minimum Qualifications Current New York State employee with one year or more of qualifying permanent service in a position allocated to a Grade 29 or above and eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
All transfer candidates must possess a current Architects license issued by the State of New York.
Preferred Qualifications Required for Appointment:
• Minimum of ten years of architectural experience.
• Four years of experience in the Administrative, Design, Construction and/or Management of the architectural, historical, and cultural restoration, renovation, and preservation of buildings listed or eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
Duties Description • Overall responsibility for management of all planned activities requiring any construction in the New York State Capitol, Empire State Plaza, and Executive Mansion.
• Assist the Commissioner of OGS on the Commission on Restoration of the Capitol.
• At the request of the Commission, provide technical assistance by researching architectural and engineering issues as related to the New York State Capitol Building.
• Responsible for long range strategic planning as well as near term management of workload, staffing, and projects.
• Lead and manage a unit of engineers, architects, and project managers.
• Function as a managing principal for the Capitol project portfolio with an understanding of client expectations, priorities, and needs. The Capitol Architect will provide the necessary direction and problem resolution for the more complex architectural and design projects.
• Manage program for one or more clients including assisting with prioritization, capital planning, emergency response and program status reporting.
• Responsible for quality control of the work developed in the unit.
• Oversee the selection and management of consulting engineering and architecture firms.
• Develop succession plans for each critical team and technical specialty.
• Evaluate and make recommendations on hiring and promoting candidates for the Division of Design.
• Responsible for maintaining project quality within the unit measured by key performance indicators.
• Perform a full range of supervisory duties.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Some travel is required.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza