875 Central Ave
Minimum Qualifications "Permanent Transfer Candidates: Current NYS employee with one year of permanent or contingent permanent competitive service as a Health Care Surveyor 3, G22, or Community Nursing Services Consultant Home Health Services, G22 and eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law OR Current NYS employee with one year of permanent or contingent permanent competitive service in a title G20 or higher and meeting the Non-competitive minimum qualificatoins listed below.
Non-competitive: possession of a license and current registration as a registered professional nurse in NYS; and three years of post-licensure, specialized professional administrative or professional clinical experience. Substitution: a bachelor's degree in nursing may substitute for one year of post licensure clinical nursing experience; and a master""s degree in nursing may substitute for two years of post-licensure clinical nursing experience."
Preferred Qualifications: "Nursing experience caring for patients in hospitals, dialysis centers, ambulatory surgery centers, and/or primary care clinics. Excellent communication, written, and organizational skills. Ability to function independently, as part of a team, and as team leader of a multidisciplinary team. Ability to be flexible, change work assignments with short notice, and accept additional assignments to meet program needs.
Duties Description "This position is located in the Capital District Regional Office (Albany) in the Hospital surveillance program. This position requires travel to licensed facilities within the seventeen-county region of Northeastern New York, including occasional overnight travel, to conduct surveys and complaint investigations against licensed providers. The Health Care Surveyor 3 works independently, as part of a team, or as the Team Leader of a multi-disciplinary team in evaluating the quality of acute and primary health care services provided to patients in hospital and diagnostic & treatment center (D&TC) settings, respectively. Duties are as follows:
• Directs and conducts surveys of hospital and primary care (D&TC) providers to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations. Prior to survey, reviews and evaluates background materials provided for the facility involved to determine prior compliance history, and utilizes this analysis to plan appropriate strategies for onsite activities. Works collaboratively with survey team members to ensure that surveys are conducted in accordance with Department standards (state and federal);
• Directs and conducts investigations of complaints concerning hospital and D&TC providers; Provides direct oversight of other program staff in the conduct of more complex and sensitive complaint investigations.
• Reviews and analyzes materials such as facility policies and procedures (P&Ps), committee meeting minutes, bylaws, reports, etc, in the process of assessing compliance with federal and state regulations;
• Conducts interviews of complainants and facility staff to obtain details regarding complaints and facility practices, respectively;
• Performs observations within facilities to assess environmental and patient care practices against regulatory requirements;
• Writes reports and Statements of Deficiencies (SODs) in accordance with state and federal performance standards, e.g., the Principles of Documentation (POD). Reviews and responds to facility Plans of Correction (POCs);
• Ensures the development of adequate background materials in support of enforcement actions against providers when substandard patient care and facility practices are identified; testifies as a nursing expert in proceedings; conducts onsite visits and reviews materials to monitor facility compliance with stipulation and order (settlement) agreements;
• Provides direction in the appropriate interpretation and application of federal and state regulations to inquiring providers;
• Responds to requests from Central Office regarding need for facility surveillance information;
• Supervises designated program staff; provides direction in their activities, reviews their work and completes performance evaluations as required;
• Participates in administrative-related program activities as requested including development and redesign of survey protocols and policies and procedures.
The health care surveyor 3 may be periodically deployed to an alternate field assignment, be mandated for overtime, or be required to be on “stand-by”
All appointees to this position must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
Additional Comments "Posted salary range includes the statutory hiring rate at Step 4 and job rate for PS&T Grade 22 ($87,828 - $98,252) and an additional Geographic Pay Differential of $20,000.
Non-competative appointment via the HELP program.
This position requires travel, including to locations that may not be serviced by public transportation.
This position may require proof of vaccination against COVID-19."
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Twelve (12) paid holidays yearly
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave yearly
• Five (5) days of paid personal leave yearly
• Eight (8) days of paid sick leave yearly
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave yearly to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Employees and eligible dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
For more information on the NYS Department of Health’s Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Plan, please visit: https://health.ny.gov/commissioner/index.htm
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on Applying Please submit your resume and cover letter, preferably in PDF format, by email to email@example.com, with Reference PC/HCS3/51518 included in the subject line or by mail to Human Resources Management Group, PC/HCS3/51518, Rm 2217, Corning Tower Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237-0012, or by fax to (518) 473-3395. Failure to include the required information may result in your resume not being considered for this position.