will be responsible for territory spanning multiple Regions within NYS.
Minimum Qualifications To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service law. If a viable list does not exist a provisional appointment may be made. Candidates who accept a provisional appointment must take the next competitive examination and be reachable on the resultant eligible list to be considered for a permanent appointment to the position.
The minimum requirements for taking the Promotional examination are:
THREE months of permanent competitive, or 55b/c service as a Motor Carrier Investigator, Motor Vehicle Inspector, or Motor Vehicle Inspector (Spanish Language).
*You must have one year of service as described above in order to qualify for appointment. To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service law.
Duties Description Under the direction of an Intermodal Transportation Specialist 2 (Motor Carrier Safety), SG-23, the incumbent of this position will serve as a field representative. Duties will include:
• Supervise Motor Carrier Investigators.
• Monitor compliance with state, federal, and industry safety standards by conducting and supervising inspections, audits, and other investigations.
• Implement truck auditing program and design and implement safety programs.
• Perform more complex audits, investigations, and inspections.
• Oversee and conduct investigation of accidents to determine probable cause and prepare and provide reports of investigation findings, conclusions, and recommendations to management.
• Monitor staff work to evaluate compliance with plans and adjusts plans as required by workload needs.
• Provide written and verbal interpretations to staff, police agencies and the public regarding state and federal motor carrier safety, operating authority and household goods regulations and CFR 49 and NYCRR 17.
• Make presentations to industry associations and government agency groups.
• Coordinate activities with main office OMSS staff, state police and local police departments and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
• Testify at Department of Transportation and other agency administrative hearings and in civil and criminal court proceedings.
• Successfully completes mandatory trainings and maintain certifications provided by FMCSA.
• Responsibilities include a role working at and coordinating activities of the MCI desk.
This position requires extensive daily travel within an assigned geographic area. You will be required to operate a motor vehicle or otherwise demonstrate the capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job. You must possess a driver's license valid in New York State at the time of appointment and continuously thereafter. Field work and travel expenses are reimbursed on a fixed schedule.
Additional Comments *Although this position will report to Main Office, the incumbent may be assigned to work from a location within a territory that encompasses Bronx, Kings, Nassau, New York, Queens, Richmond, and Suffolk counties.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
50 Wolf Road, POD 5-3
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume, titled by last name, with the Notice Number MO-23-471 and last name in the subject line and referenced in the letter of interest no later than October 3rd, 2023