ESP, Biggs Laboratory
Minimum Qualifications Non-Competitive: bachelor’s degree in the natural sciences and two years of post-degree professional research experience in an appropriate field, or a Master's degree in the appropriate field and on year of post-degree professional research experience in that field.
Preferred Qualifications: Degree in Chemistry related field, experience with accessioning of Environmental and/or Clinical samples in a laboratory setting.
Duties Description "The Research Scientist 1 will support a centralized accessioning unit for the Wadsworth Center’s Division of Environmental Health Sciences (DEHS) laboratories. The incumbent in this position will be responsible for receiving and accessioning environmental and clinical samples into the laboratory information management system and scheduling appropriate analytical testing. Specific duties to be performed may include, but are not limited tom the following:
- Inspect all sample containers and packaging for compliance with sampling and receipt requirements
- Ensure samples are compliant for testing, this includes checking chemical (e.g., pH) and thermal (e.g., temperature) preservations
- Review paperwork for completeness and accuracy
- Document any deficiencies and communicate with sample submitters when corrections are needed
- Label samples and paperwork with unique identifiers
- Deliver samples to applicable laboratories
- Writing and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Calibration/Verification of support equipment (e.g., thermometers, pipettes, syringes, and liquid handlers) for Quality Control/ Quality Assurance activities
-Training new staff as needed"
Additional Comments Exposure to potentially hazardous substances may be involved with this position, candidates who accept appointment may be required to wear personal protective equipment.
"We offer a work-life balance and a generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
• Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• Pension from New York State Employees’ Retirement System
• Shift & Geographic pay differentials
• Affordable Health Care options
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• NYS Deferred Compensation plan
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, and U.S. Savings Bonds
• And many more..."
"For new State employees appointed to graded positions, the annual salary is the hiring rate (beginning of the Salary Range) of the position. Promotion salaries are calculated by the NYS Office of the State Comptroller in accordance with NYS Civil Service Law, OSC Payroll rules and regulations and negotiated union contracts.
The NYS Department of Health is committed to making New York a safer, healthier, and more equitable place to live. Understanding health equity, social determinants of health and health disparities is critical to accomplish our goal of eliminating health disparities. For more information on the NYS Department of Health’s Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Plan, please visit: https://health.ny.gov/commissioner/index.htm"
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on Applying Please submit your resume and cover letter as one (1) document, preferably in PDF format, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Reference NMH/RS1/12997 included in the subject line or by mail to Human Resources Management Group, NMH/RS1/12997, Rm 2217, Corning Tower Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237-0012, or by fax to (518) 473-3395. Failure to include the required information may result in your resume not being considered for this position. Resumes will be accepted until October 3, 2023.