333 East Washington Street
Minimum Qualifications Either
1: a bachelor’s degree in media, new media, English, communications, journalism, broadcasting, public relations, films, TV productions, or digital marketing AND three years of experience in public or governmental relations, and/or in writing or producing content for various media;
2: a master’s degree in media, new media, English, communications, journalism, broadcasting, public relations, films, TV productions, and digital marketing AND two years of experience in public or governmental relations, and/or in writing or producing content for various media;
3: seven years of the experience described above.
Duties Description The incumbent will function as the I-81 Project Communications Specialist and will work under the supervision of the I-81 project director and the Director of Public Information. The incumbent will be responsible for performing the full range of public information activities including but not limited to:
• Prepare, edit, and disseminate written material of information pertaining to programs and activities related to the Department of Transportation in Central NY as well as the I-81 Viaduct Project.
• Maintain communications department schedule of events and prepare materials for community and stakeholder meetings.
• Support the Director of Public Information in Interacting with the media, the public and stakeholders at meetings and open houses.
• Under the direction of the Director of Public Information answer inquiries from the public concerning the capital projects in the Region.
• Create and publish digital content for use on department’s external website, Region 3 and the I-81 Viaduct Project social media accounts, the I-81 Viaduct Project App and newsletter.
• Project promotion and public involvement support (website, media, public meeting organization, festivals, NYS Fair etc.).
• Fill in at outreach centers when needed.
• Assist in writing press releases and speeches, along with executive briefings and document support
• Backup phone support and website support.
• Coordinate with Region 3 leadership to gather information for internal communications (DOT and Region 3 newsletter, employee recognition program, etc.).
• Under the direction of the Director of Public Information serve as the liaison with the local Governor’s Representatives and elected officials on behalf of the Region 3/I-81 Public Information Officer
Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the
department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Additional Comments Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
50 Wolf Road
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume, titled by last name, with the Notice Number MO-23-496 and last name in the subject line and referenced in the letter of interest no later than October 16th,2023