Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Non-competitive: Four years of full-time experience in carpentry work under a skilled tradesperson which would provide training equivalent to that given in a training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program, or an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of technical courses in carpentry at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services,
Successful completion of the two-year Trades Specialist (Carpenter) traineeship or a two-year carpenter training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program* such as the New York State Civil Service Employees AssociationPartnership Applied Skilled Trades Traineeship and Certificate Program.
* Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific classroom instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of “C” or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
•Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
•Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
•Knowledge of applicable residential building codes.
•Candidate will be trained in the operation and maintenance procedures as related to Asbestos Containing Materials.
•Basic computer skills preferred.
•When required to operate motor vehicles, candidates must possess a valid New York State driver's license appropriate for the type of vehicle to be operated.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
As directed, builds, repairs, and installs such items as counters, cabinets, partitions, floors, doors, windows, building framework, roofs, and trim following verbal or written instructions utilizing the tools of the carpentry trade and following standard carpentry techniques.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Installs and repairs ceiling and floor tiles.
• Performs general millwork, may build cabinets, furniture, and other wooden items.
• Maintain shop equipment and portable tools used in the trade.
• Ability to lay out framing and construct components of building utilizing plans and drawings.
• Construct Inspections of facilities to determine needs, recommend priorities, and method of repair.
• Prepare sketches and material listings needed for completion of assigned tasks.
• May supervise and instruct others in the construction and repair of structures.
• May be required to work with a variety of materials in addition to wood.
• Install and maintain doors, windows, and associated hardware.
• Requires daily travel within the district.
• May require some travel within NY State to assist other districts with special projects.
• Work schedule may vary based on operational need.
Additional Comments Please note, the posted Hiring Salary includes the sum of the statutory hiring rate for ISU Grade 12 ($47,530), along with any special salary treatments in effect for this position in this location, such as a Mid-Hudson Adjustment ($1,543). The posted maximum salary (Job Rate of $58,016) includes the previously Mid-Hudson Adjustment.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• If you are employed by state government, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. . For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that they need a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office at (518) 473-4785 or Email at: email@example.com to obtain information and RA forms.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.
• OPWDD is committed to creating and sustaining a culture of inclusion. We believe that we are most effective in managing and improving our service system with a diverse team of employees. With such a large workforce, we rely on the collective individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, self-expression, ideas and talent that our employees bring to their work. This speaks to our culture and is a key part of our successes. As we continuously recruit people for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that applicants bring in terms of their education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs.
• Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide their current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
7 Wilbur Road
Notes on ApplyingSubmit cover letter and résumé to:
Hudson Valley DDSOO Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 470
7 Wilbur Road
Thiells, NY 10984
Phone: 845-947-6000, option 3, option 5
Please reference the above EOA # 22-078R3 in all correspondence.