Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Successful completion of a NYS two-year Trades Specialist (Plumber & Steamfitter).
NYS two-year plumbing training program.
Successful completion of any equivalent plumbing two-year training or apprenticeship program*
Four (4) years of full-time experience in plumbing under a skilled journey-level plumber which would provide training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprenticeship training in plumbing or training gained by completion of technical courses in plumbing at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
* Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific classroom instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of “C” or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
•Working knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in the trade or trades to which assigned.
•Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
•Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
•Work schedule may vary based on operational need.
•Will be required to train and supervise others.
•Candidate will be trained in the operation and maintenance procedures as related to Asbestos Containing Materials.
•Will be required to plan and lay out work, develop time and material lists for projects assigned.
•Will be required to read and interpret plans, codes, diagrams, architectural blueprints, and specifications.
•Basic computer skills preferred.
•Valid NYS driver’s License. When required to operate motor vehicles, candidates must possess a valid New York State driver's license appropriate for the type of vehicle to be operated.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Performs Journeyman level duties as part of a regional construction crew that will perform renovations at OPWDD’s properties. The incumbent must be able to work effectively both independently and as a cohesive group made up of other tradespeople in order to
achieve the desired goals often within critical time frames.
Daily travel within the district is required and may require travel within NY State to assist other districts with special projects.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs Journeyman level plumbing/steam fitting duties and supervises others in the trade repairs, maintains and installs plumbing fixtures and appliances such as sinks, showers/baths, toilets, dishwashers, and garbage disposals.
• Repairs, maintains, and installs equipment such as gas water heaters, heat exchangers, heating equipment, water pumps and other equipment related to steam, gas, or water systems. Plans and lays out installation, alteration, and repair of high- and low-pressure piping systems that carry water, steam, air or other liquids or gases. Has ability to review plans and lay out building plumbing systems.
• Ability to work off ladders and scaffolds in performing their job.
• Ability to estimate quantity of materials needed to perform work assigned.
• Acts as lead tradesman in task assigned and provide supervision and guidance to others.
• Ability to schedule work with other trades in order to keep jobs on schedule and to achieve the desired outcome.
Additional Comments The posted Hiring Salary includes the sum of the statutory hiring rate for ISU Grade 12 ($47,530), along with any special salary treatments in effect for this position in this location, such as a Downstate Adjustment ($3,087). The posted maximum salary (Job Rate of $58,016) includes the previously Downstate Adjustment.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• If you are employed by state government, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that they need a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office at (518) 473-4785 or Email at:email@example.com to obtain information and RA forms.
• OPWDD is committed to creating and sustaining a culture of inclusion. We believe that we are most effective in managing and improving our service system with a diverse team of employees. With such a large workforce, we rely on the collective individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, self-expression, ideas and talent that our employees bring to their work. This speaks to our culture and is a key part of our successes. As we continuously recruit people for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that applicants bring in terms of their education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.
• Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide their current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
7 Wilbur Road
Notes on ApplyingSubmit cover letter and résumé to:
Hudson Valley DDSOO Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 470
7 Wilbur Road
Thiells, NY 10984
Phone: 845-947-6000, option 3, option 5
Please reference the above EOA# 22-076R3 in all correspondence.