Minimum Qualifications Current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as a Legal Assistant 2; OR current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service in a position allocated within 2 grades above OR below posted title and eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 as appropriate of the Civil Service Law.
Duties Description Reporting to the General Counsel, the incumbent of this position will work in close association with investigators, Office of General Counsel (OGC) attorneys, respondents, court reporters, and other administrative staff, performing a variety of paralegal activities for OGC. Responsibilities may include scheduling hearings for attorneys and their investigators; maintaining databases and case tracking systems; compiling and organizing hearing files and records; preparing and assisting in the preparation of legal documents; conducting legal research; preparing subpoenas and correspondence.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Prepare correspondence and all relevant case materials for the hearing.
• Assist in the preparation of cases for hearings, by completing a variety of activities.
• Prepare documents and draft legal documents for investigator and attorney review.
• Organize case files and maintain exhibits for hearings.
• Prepare subpoenas and arrange for service.
• Arrange for the filing of legal memorandum and other legal papers.
• Assist with resources and supportive material for attorneys for hearings.
• Conduct research into complex legal matters, analyze materials, and present both verbal and written comments on findings.
• Prepare and maintain case files and calendars, record and monitor the status of dockets, deadlines and final decisions.
• Assist the General Counsel in connection with confidential legal matters.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the General Counsel and First Deputy General Counsel.
Additional Comments NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: Employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to the agency’s Telecommuting Program Guidelines.
Downstate: Location Pay of $3,087
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza