Minimum Qualifications Current New York State employee with one year or more of qualifying permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service in a position allocated to a Grade 13 or above and eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Candidates must demonstrate adequate keyboarding skills by prior service in a keyboarding title OR successful completion of a Keyboard Specialist performance test.
Duties Description Reporting to the General Counsel, this position will provide a wide range of administrative tasks related to day-to-day operations for the Legal Unit. This position will also be responsible for supervising one Administrative Assistant, Gr-11 and one Office Assistant 2, Gr-9.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Maintain a high level of confidentiality in all matters of day-to-day operations.
• Supervision and training of support staff.
• Assist office members assigned to administrative hearings.
• Maintain scheduling and event calendars. Schedule and confirm appointments for clients, customers, or supervisors.
• Coordinate conferences, meetings, or special events. Make travel arrangements for staff according to NYS travel procedure. Create and/or submit travel expense reports for staff.
• Answering the telephone, taking messages, and transferring calls to appropriate individuals.
• Greet visitors or callers by handling inquiries directly or by directing them to the appropriate persons.
• Handle incoming and outgoing mail. Open, read, route, and distribute incoming mail or other materials and answers routine inquiries. Mail various items including letters, reports, and promotional materials; and prepare packages and arrange for them to be shipped.
• Set up and manage paper and electronic filing systems.
• Use various information technology applications such as email, database, spreadsheets, and word processing applications.
• Operate office equipment such as printers, scanners, and copiers; and arrange for repairs when equipment malfunctions.
• Create, maintain, and enter information into spreadsheets and databases.
• Complete forms in accordance with agency procedures.
• Make copies of various documents, places them in proper files, and distributes them to appropriate staff.
• Locate and attach appropriate files to incoming correspondence requiring replies.
• Compose, type, and distribute meeting notes, correspondence, and reports.
• Provide services to customers, such as order placement or account information.
• Review work done by others to check for correct spelling and proper grammar, ensures that office format policies are followed, and recommends revisions.
• Search for information using various sources including the internet.
• Order and distribute supplies.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza