Minimum Qualifications This title is part of the New York Hiring for Emergency Limited Placement Statewide Program (NY HELPS).
For the duration of the NY HELPS Program, this title maybe filled via a non-competitive appointment, which means no examination is required but all candidates must meet the minimum qualifications of the title for which they apply. At this time, agencies may recruit and hire employees by making temporary appointments. In May 2024, if a temporary NY HELPS employee is satisfactorily performing in the position, the appointment will be changed from temporary pending Civil Service Commission Action to permanent non-competitive and the official probationary period will begin.
At a future date (within one year of permanent appointment), it is expected employees hired under NY HELPS will have their non-competitive employment status converted to competitive status, without having to compete in an examination. Employees will then be afforded with all of the same rights and privileges of competitive class examination for which they are qualified.
NON-COMPETITIVE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
-Bachelor’s degree including 24 credits in accounting/auditing/taxation
-Bachelor’s degree including 18 credit hours in accounting/auditing/taxation AND 6 credits in finance, money and banking, economics, or business.
-Meet the Trainee 1 minimum qualifications AND 1 year of experience*
- Meet the Trainee 1 minimum qualifications AND a Masters, including 15 credits in accounting/auditing/taxation
- Meet the Trainee 1 minimum qualifications AND 2 years’ experience*
- Meet the Trainee 1 minimum qualifications AND CPA license in NYS
- Meet the Trainee 1 minimum qualifications AND a Masters, including 15 credits in accounting/auditing/taxation AND 1 year experience*
*Experience must be gained in any one or combination of the following:
1. As an accountant/auditor with responsibility for the full range of professional activities involved in the review, analysis, and management of accounting systems, resulting in the rendering of opinions or recommendations on financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Activities restricted to bookkeeping or preparing tax returns are not considered qualifying.
2. As an internal accountant/auditor with responsibility for conducting a full range of financial accounting/auditing activities for an entity. Activities limited to such duties as maintaining and/or auditing payroll records, accounts receivable or accounts payable are not considered qualifying.
3. As an accountant with ongoing responsibility for the design, implementation, and review of accounting systems.
4. As a professional staff member of a private accounting practice with broad experience in maintaining accounting books and records, completing financial statements, and preparing business and personal tax returns.
5. As field auditor with a federal, state, or municipal agency, with the responsibility for performing comprehensive field audits to determine the compliance of individuals or businesses with the taxing jurisdictions laws, rules, and regulations.
6. As an accountant/auditor principally engaged in the analysis and/or interpretation of tax law.
The selected candidate must be reachable on the eligible list for this title and location under Civil Service Law, Rules and Regulations.
The selected candidate must be eligible for a 70.1 transfer under Civil Service Law, Rules and Regulations.
Special Minimum Qualifications for transfer to Auditor 1 (Tax):
A bachelor’s degree including or supplemented by 24 semester credit hours in accounting, auditing, or taxation; or a bachelor’s degree including or supplemented by 18 semester credit hours in accounting, auditing, or taxation and six credit hours in finance, money and banking, economics, or business.
If eligible via 55 b/c please provide a copy of your active letter of eligibility with your response.
Duties Description Auditor 1 (Tax) performs on-site field audits and examinations of taxpayers' books, records, and substantiating data to determine compliance with various articles of the New York State Tax Law.
These duties include but are not limited to:
• Conduct audits and examinations of taxpayers’ books and records to determine compliance with the various articles of the NYS Tax Law.
• Develop and maintain working knowledge of tax law as well as Department and Audit Division procedures and policies, including the Code of Conduct, Ethics practices and security and confidentiality rules.
• Communicate effectively with supervisors, taxpayers and/or their representatives both orally and in writing.
• Learn and maintain skills in computer technology. This includes the use of laptop computers, PCs, various software applications, and mainframe applications.
• Travel frequently, both locally and overnight. Must be able to travel within and outside New York State and travel to locations not accessible by public transportation.
• Must be able to travel with computer equipment and case materials to various field audit sites, training classes, BCMS conferences, etc.
• Represent the Audit Division and advocate disputed cases at BCMS conferences and Small Claims Hearings. May participate at hearings as a witness for the Department to assist attorneys from the Department’s Office of Counsel in the resolution of disputed cases.
• Participate in audit selection process.
• Meet the Department's time and attendance rules.
Additional Comments Work hours, travel, and telecommuting options to be discussed during the interview.
Appointment to each level of the traineeship will depend on which minimum qualifications are met.
The salary listed is a range, starting from the Trainee 1 level and ending at the Journey level, this will depend on what level the candidate is coming in at.
This location is eligible for location pay, in addition to the salary range listed.
New York State is an equal opportunity employer. It’s the policy of the state of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, or an arrest or criminal conviction record unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Some positions may require additional or a background check to verify your identity.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingQualified Candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume, including current title and how you qualify. You will be required to provide a copy of your unofficial transcripts to show you meet the minimum qualifications.
Please reference the vacancy ID number and job title with your response.
You may be contacted to provide your Social Security Number for verification of your NYS service.