80 South Swan Street
Duties Description The Assistant Counsel will assist in the implementation of the Hurrell-Harring v. New York settlement agreement (“HH settlement agreement”) undertaken by the Office of Indigent Legal Services (“Office”). The incumbent of this position will serve as HH Implementation Attorney – Eligibility in the Office’s HH Implementation Unit and report to the Chief Implementation Attorney, under the guidance of the Director of the Office of Indigent Legal Services (“Director”) and agency Counsel (“Counsel”). The incumbent will be primarily responsible for assisting in the development of eligibility guidelines for providing representation in upstate New York to persons entitled to representation under Article 18-B of the County Law who are financially unable to obtain counsel. The incumbent will work closely with three other subject area attorneys in the HH Implementation Unit; the HH Implementation Attorney – Counsel at First Appearance, HH Implementation Attorney – Caseload Standards and the HH Implementation Attorney – Quality Enhancement to satisfy the planning, investigatory and reporting provisions of the settlement agreement as undertaken by the Office to improve the quality of mandated representation under article 18-B of the County Law.
Specific responsibilities also include:
• Evaluates and monitors the eligibility standards used in upstate New York for determining eligibility for representation under Article 18-B of the County Law for persons who are financially unable to afford counsel.
• Assists in the development of an eligibility survey for indigent legal service providers, county officials and judges to determine the current procedures and standards used in upstate New York to determine eligibility for representation under County Law 18-B for persons who are financially unable to afford counsel.
• Assists in the development of a series of public hearings in upstate New York conducted for the purpose of developing uniform eligibility standards. The public hearings will provide an opportunity for county officials, indigent legal service providers, judges and other interested parties, including the public, to provide input, both in written form and verbally, in the development of criteria and procedures (“eligibility standards”) to guide courts in determining whether a person is eligible for representation under Article 18-B of the County Law.
• Using the information obtained from the survey and public hearings, assists in the development of criteria and procedures to guide courts in determining whether a person is eligible for representation under Article 18-B of the County Law.
• Consults with the providers of indigent legal representation, county officials, judges and other interested entities to identify opportunities for implementing the eligibility criteria and procedures as developed by the Office.
• Monitors the progress of counties toward implementing the eligibility criteria and procedures developed by the Office, including developing regular, periodic reports of such progress in accordance with provisions of the settlement agreement
• Makes recommendations to the Chief HH Implementation Attorney for improving and reporting of progress made by the counties, including improving the overall quality of indigent legal services in a cost-effective manner and creating innovative systems for determining whether a person is eligible for representation under Article 18-B of the County Law.
• Undertakes such other activities as may be requested by the Director and Counsel in furtherance of the Office’s overall responsibility to make efforts to improve the quality of indigent legal services representation under article 18-B.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
40th Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.