80 South Swan Street
Duties Description The HH Implementation Paralegal will assist in the implementation of the Hurrell-Harring v. New York settlement agreement (“HH settlement agreement”) undertaken by the Office of Indigent Legal Services (“Office”). The incumbent of this position will serve as HH Implementation Paralegal in the Office’s HH Implementation Unit and report to the Chief HH Implementation Attorney, who works under the guidance of the Director of the Office of Indigent Legal Services (“Director”) and agency Counsel (“Counsel”). The incumbent will be primarily responsible for assisting the Chief HH Implementation Attorney and four subject area attorneys of the HH Implementation Unit, the HH Implementation Attorney – Counsel at First Appearance, HH Implementation Attorney – Caseload Standards, HH Implementation Attorney – Quality Enhancement and HH Implementation Attorney – Eligibility Standards to satisfy the planning, investigatory and reporting provisions of the settlement agreement as undertaken by the Office to improve the quality of mandated representation under article 18-B of the County Law. All case-related information and knowledge obtained in the performance of these duties is highly confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege.
Specific responsibilities also include:
• In collaboration with other members of the HH Implementation Unit, evaluates and monitors the implementation of the HH settlement agreement.
• Gathers and prepares background and supporting materials for the development of written plans required under the terms of the settlement, for the purpose of improving the quality of mandated representation of eligible criminal defendants.
• Assists in monitoring the progress of counties toward achieving the goals enunciated in the written plans developed by the Office, including gathering and analyzing relevant information and assisting in the writing of periodic assessment reports.
• Conducts legal research, including identifying appropriate laws, judicial decisions and legal articles, as requested by the Chief HH Implementation Attorney and the four subject area HH attorneys.
• Locates and interviews individuals related to implementation of the HH settlement agreement, as directed by the Chief HH Implementation Attorney and the four subject area HH attorneys.
• Assists in the identification of deficiencies in, or obstacles to, implementation in the five counties, and developing solutions to identified barriers.
• Undertakes such other activities as may be requested by the Director and Counsel in furtherance of the Office’s overall responsibility to implement the HH settlement agreement and make efforts to improve the quality of indigent legal services representation under article 18-B.
• At the direction of the HH Chief Implementation Attorney, may handle administrative tasks such as maintaining and organizing HH Implementation files, and contacting County officials, indigent legal services providers and others to schedule interviews and meetings.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
40th Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.