Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: For provisional appointment candidates must possess a Master’s Degree in History, Public History, Art History, American Studies**, or Museum Studies**, and three years of professional experience in collections management and/or research OR a Ph.D. in History, Public History, Art History, or American Studies**.
**Including or supplemented with nine credit hours in history.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Special consideration will be given to candidates who possess the following qualifications:
• Doctorate in American History showing a concentration of research of New York State history.
• Five years of experience in the university level lecturing about New York State history.
• Evidence of published peer reviewed historical research.
• Editing of publications about New York State history.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking to fill the position of Senior Historian in the New York State Museum. This position will serve as the Historian for New York State. The State Historian will have broad researched based knowledge about New York State, conduct research, provide statewide coordination and leadership of the historical communities in New York, promote collaboration, and a scholarship that ensures a greater understanding of the history of the State. Under the direct supervision of the Chief Curator (History), duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Perform historical research about New York State;
• Provide guidance and leadership to New York State academic organizations, institutions, and local government historians appointed pursuant to Arts and Cultural Affairs Law 57.07;
• Review annual reports submitted to the Commissioner of Education by local government historians;
• Advise and assist any state agency, board, commission, office, civil subdivision, institution or organization in the planning and execution of any commemorative, scholarly conference or other gathering event relating to the history of the Colony and the State of New York;
• Examine historical material to determine its significance and validity; and
• Publish information concerning the history of the State of New York and regarding collections of historical materiel for academic and popular publications and (media) outlets.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $81,415 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by March 13, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email applications are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-937/27442) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Ave. 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by March 13, 2016 to email@example.com (email applications are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-937/27442) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.