Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Successful completion of a NYS two-year Sign Painter Traineeship* or NYS two-year Sign Painter training program*; OR successful completion of any equivalent sign painter two-year training* or apprenticeship program*; OR four (4) years of full-time experience in the Sign Painter trade under a skilled journey-level Sign Painter which would provide training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprenticeship training in the Sign Painter trade or training gained by completion of technical courses in the Sign Painter trade at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
* As part of the Traineeship or training program, candidates must have successfully completed 288 hours of trade-specific classroom instruction, 45 hours of technical math, 45 hours of technical communications, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading coursework with an average grade of C or better. Additionally, candidates must have successfully completed 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
Application Process - Candidates are required to provide specific, verifiable information about their qualifying experience with the Application for Posted Position (ADM 227). This information should be on the letterhead of the employer under whom the qualifying experience was gained and include names and titles of supervisors, duties performed during the training period and specific dates of employment and be signed by that employer.
• Candidates qualifying through the completion of appropriate course work should include a copy of their transcript or listing of course work completed.
• A copy of a trades union card is acceptable documentary proof of qualification.
• Candidates who do not submit appropriate documentary proof that they meet the minimum qualifications will not be considered for appointment.
Per Agreement between the Civil Service Employees Association, Inc. and the State of New York, Article 45 (c) the requirement to prove qualification shall rest with the employee.
Duties Description • • Prepare sketches of signs indicating the layout and lettering design.
• Sketch, Layout, and produce reflective signs using reflective coated materials.
• Design and production of a variety of signs as indicated by the operating needs.
• Estimate material and labor costs for the production and repair of signs and orders.
• Maintain supplies and equipment for the sign shop.
• Maintain standard records of materials used and work produced.
• Supervise subordinate personnel assigned to the sign shop
Additional Comments Operational Needs:
• Possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted New York State motor vehicle operator’s license.
• Able to work at heights using ladders, scaffolding, platform lifts, boom lifts etc.
• Able to lift minimum of 80 lbs.
• Working knowledge of practices, material, and processes used in producing and repairing signs.
• Working knowledge of the commonly used lettering styles.
• Working knowledge in such techniques as screen process printing and spray painting.
• Ability to plan and lay out signs.
• Ability to use tools, materials and equipment related to the sign painting trade.
• Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
• Ability to lay out and free hand letter different styles of lettering.
• Ability to use a personal computer and Microsoft Word, Outlook and Powerpoint.
• Ability to use mechanical and computerized sign-making equipment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.