Minimum Qualifications ducation/Experience Required:
• J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school;
• Admission to the NYS Bar (or pending admission);
• At least 2 years of experience in bill drafting and legislative or government relations experience preferred; and
• Excellent communication skills – oral and written, as well as analytical and organizational skills.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the OAG be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
Duties Description Legislative Affairs of the Executive Division in The New York State Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is seeking candidates to fill the position of Legislative Counsel. The Legislative Counsel will report to the Director of Legislative Affairs and will assist in the development and advancement of the NYAG’s legislative initiatives, including drafting legislation. The Legislative Counsel will also represent the office in legislative and budget negotiations. This position is located in Albany.
Specific duties will include but not be limited to:
• Research state legislative issues and draft legislation;
• Meet with stakeholders, state legislators, and state agency staff on proposed or pending legislation;
• Actively monitor the legislative environment for issues that may impact the NYAG;
• Monitor judicial and regulatory developments for possible impact on state laws or pending legislation;
• Represent the office in legislative and budget negotiations and monitor budget developments;
• Work long hours, nights and weekends, as necessary, particularly during the legislative session; and
• Distill and communicate complex legal and legislative information quickly and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Additional Comments Salary to be determined commensurate with experience.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The Office is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to workplace diversity.
PLEASE NOTE: Unless otherwise specified in the “Notes on Applying” section, the “Application Due” date associated with this posting is not the last day applications can be submitted. Applications for this position will be accepted by the hiring bureau on a rolling basis until a candidate is selected; recruitment for this position can be closed or suspended at any time. For the most current information on available position vacancies, applicants are advised to review the Office of the New York State Attorney General website (www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings) or contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Legal Recruitment Bureau - 120 Broadway
Notes on ApplyingApplications are being received online. To apply, please go to our website, www.ag.ny.gov, Resources/Job Opportunities - Attorney Positions. Reference No. EXEC/LEG_AAG_ALB_3129.
Applications are being received online. To apply, please visit our careers website here. Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter (You may address to Sandra Jefferson Grannum, Esq., Bureau Chief, Legal Recruitment)
• List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses
• Writing Sample
• Transcript (if less than five years postgraduate)
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
For questions about a position with the OAG, the application process or assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov