Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Appointment Method
Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications listed below in order to be eligible for appointment.
Non-Competitive or Exempt: Candidates must possess a Bachelor’s Degree and eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience involving major supervisory, administrative or program planning functions, three of which must involve the interaction of regulatory oversight with private industry and the public. A Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Urban Planning or a related field may substitute for one year of the general experience.
Additional Preferred Qualifications: We seek a self-motivated, dependable, adaptable, and detail-oriented individual with strong analytical, writing, verbal and organizational skills. Should be familiar with CRA, the impact of CRA on low-and moderate- income communities and the ability to implement policy recommendations. Knowledge of other federal and New York State consumer compliance, fair lending and community development laws and regulation, and regulatory and supervisory experience are preferred. Must be able to manage and work within a team environment. Should be proficient in MS Word and Excel.
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services (“Department”) is seeking candidates to fill the position of Director of Consumer Examination Unit (“CEU”). The Director will lead CEU to ensure that the Department’s regulated institutions abide by federal and state Community Reinvestment Act (CRA), consumer protection, and fair lending laws and regulations. In addition, the Director will lead CEU to facilitate the development of banking services in under-served and low- and moderate-income neighborhoods, including by administering New York’s Banking Development District (“BDD”) program and reviewing bank applications to determine the community impact of proposed transactions. The Director will report to an executive level position and provide expertise to Department management on consumer compliance (including CRA and fair lending) and community development issues. The Director will develop guidelines, policies and procedures under consumer compliance (including CRA and fair lending) and community development laws and regulations and act as an advisor to the Department in all such matters. Additional duties of this position will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Manage staff responsible for conducting consumer examinations (CRA, Consumer Compliance, Fair Lending) by providing guidance on examination policies and procedures, reviewing examination reports for quality and professionalism, and participating in meetings with management of supervised institutions;
• Provide expertise and leadership on community development programs, including the BDD program, which encourages banking services in underserved areas;
• Train staff on consumer compliance, fair lending, CRA and community development best practices and regulatory developments;
• Review staff recommendations on the community impact of bank applications, including branch openings and closings, mergers, acquisitions and public welfare investment applications;
• Coordinate with the Banking Division and Real Estate Finance Division to encourage bank and mortgage bank compliance with consumer laws and rules (including fair lending) and to encourage those institutions to participate in community development activities;
• Lead the Department’s outreach to and coordination with community development and consumer organizations to identify community development issues; and
• Manage special projects, as directed by the executive level manager and the Department’s management.
Additional information regarding the duties will be discussed at the time of interview.
Additional Comments Salary commensurate with experience.
Appointment Status: This is an appointment to a position in the non-competitive or exempt jurisdictional class.
Appointment to this position is pending Division of Budget approval to fill.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than December 31, 2017 to the email address listed below. Please include Box DCEU-07204 in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
99 Washington Avenue, Suite 2016
Albany, New York 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job and the accommodation would not constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency.