Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
125 Phelps Way
Minimum Qualifications One year experience in the operation and/or maintenance of a park, historic site or recreational facility; OR land management; OR two years of work in a related field; OR a combination there of. High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Duties Description The Assistant performs routine maintenance using a variety of power-driven mechanical equipment including but not limited to; trucks, tractors, mowers, trailers, snow plow/blowers, chainsaws, chippers, power tools, backpack blowers & line trimmers. The Assistant performs semi-skilled maintenance including carpentry, plumbing, electrical and small engine mechanics. They help maintain carriage roads using a large tractor with attachments to regrade, blow leaves, and mow, as well as, clear culverts and drainage. They will assist with tree removal and tree trimming using a chainsaw, power pruners and chippers. During winter months, they remove snow at the Preserve entrance by operating snow blowers/salter & shoveling. They interact with the public by answering their questions and assists in emergency situations. They need to act independently with a minimum of direct supervision and must ensure that all required safety equipment according to safety procedures. Duties may vary to meet the needs to the facility. They may assist with maintenance and operations at other state park facilities, as needed.
Additional Comments OPERATIONAL NEEDS:
• Must possess & maintain a valid New York State Driver's License as a term & condition of employment.
• Must be physically able to perform medium to heavy physical labor, including ability to lift & move 80 lbs.
• Must have a variety of construction and/or equipment operations skills and experience.
• Must be able to communicate orally & in writing, & read & comprehend written materials.
• Must be able to communicate well orally with park patrons, and be available to work on weekends & holidays.
• Duties may change or be added to correspond with the needs of Rockefeller State Park Preserve.
• Eligible for health insurance
• Eligible to join NYS Retirement Plan
• Union representation through CSEA (Civil Service Employees Association)
Although it is a temporary and seasonal position, the position is year-round. The position is capped at 1750 hours per year which works out to approximately 32 hours per week, with some schedule fluctuations by season.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
125 Phelps Way
Notes on ApplyingTo apply: You can obtain an Employment Application from your local park office, the Taconic Region’s administrative office, from the intranet, or download an application from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at www.nysparks.com (save application with your name to your computer). Submit a cover letter, resume, and your NYS PARKS application by email to Sean.Liegey@parks.ny.gov (include your name & position in subject line) or by mail to Sean Liegey, Rockefeller State Park, 125 Phelps Way, Pleasantville, NY 10570. If you have questions concerning the position, please contact Sean Liegey at (914)-631-1470 ext. 108.