Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
187 Northern Concourse
Minimum Qualifications PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Organize, coordinate, and implement the Senior Companion Program in accordance with the Agency's mission to foster community inclusion, enrich people's lives and enhance independence of individuals.
Advertise, recruit and screen prospective Senior Companions following guidelines established by OPWDD, the Justice Center and the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Incorporate a person-centered approach to matching Senior Companions and individuals in meaningful assignments.
Develop and implement an orientation and on-going training program for Senior Companions that meets the requirements of OPWDD, the Justice Center and the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Complete, submit and/or retain data/reports in the areas of: Senior Companion evaluations, profile for impact statements, assignment review, time & attendance, and others required by local, state and federal agencies.
Act as a spokesperson and liaison to voluntary agencies and community organizations, to facilitate program goals.
Participate in monthly/as scheduled statewide senior companion coordinator teleconferences hosted by the OPWDD Senior Companion Program Manager
Create features for the internal newsletter showcasing senior companions and the individuals they support.
Complete bi-weekly stipend roll, to ensure Senior Companions receive their stipend and reimbursements for mileage and meals in a timely fashion.
Attend the annual Senior Companion Conference held in the Capital District area for training and networking.
The position requires travel across the western counties of the CNY DDSOO, and occasionally to Rome.
Any questions regarding the duties of this position may be directed to Jan Rabice, Public Affairs Oversight/QI, Phone: (315) 336-2300, ext. 213
Duties Description MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
The current Civil Service list is exhausted.
OR for Transfer Opportunity:
Candidates must have one year of permanent service as a Senior Companion Program Coordinator and be eligible for lateral transfer; OR be in a title deemed appropriate for transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law;
In the event that there is not a valid eligible list, candidates who meet the following open competitive qualifications may be qualified for a provisional appointment:
You must have two years of administrative experience coordinating an organized volunteer services program in which you had primary responsibility for recruiting, training, orientation and supervision of volunteers. One of these two years of experience must have included administering a program which provided services to individuals diagnosed with mental retardation or developmental disabilities.
Additional Comments Please note:
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Position may be eligible for Loan Forgiveness via the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program:
• For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice
• Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on Applying Submit cover letter and résumé by, January 17, 2018.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The successful bidder to this posting is advised that it will be their responsibility to discuss, with their new supervisor, any previously approved time off. There is no guarantee the new unit will be able to honor previously approved time off.
Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and can perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that he or she needs a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Central Office at (518) 402-7644 or Email at Affirmative.Action@opwdd.ny.gov to obtain information and RA forms.