Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must possess a master’s degree or higher in Library or Information Science from an American Library Association accredited library school and at least 10 years of post-degree professional experience such as a director of a major library system; director of a comprehensive university or research library; or in a management position in a state library agency or large public library. Candidates must demonstrate a record of national or regional leadership, be able to communicate a vision for library services for the future and demonstrate a record of a collaborative leadership style.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department is seeking candidates to fill the position of State Librarian. The selected candidate must be an energetic and experienced leader and will serve as Assistant Commissioner for Libraries and State Librarian. The incumbent of this position will lead the operations of the New York State Library, a component of the Office of Cultural Education within the New York State Education Department. The incumbent will demonstrate proven leadership qualities, vision and the capacity to execute policy for library services in a rapidly changing information management, electronic and digital environment. Additionally, the incumbent must be able to operate within a complex and dynamic atmosphere and work collaboratively with diverse, often divergent, interest groups.
The New York State Library provides information and library services through its Research Library and the Division of Library Development. The State Librarian will have oversight responsibility for the library’s operating budget of approximately $12 million, a staff of approximately 100 professional librarians, para-professionals and support staff, a research collection of nearly 20 million items and nearly $140 million in State and federal aid to libraries. The incumbent will recommend legislation and policy regarding libraries to the Board of Regents.
The New York State Research Library’s holdings include over 20 million items in a wide variety of formats, including paper, microform and digital, with an emphasis on law, history and medicine. The Research Library is the Regional Federal Depository and Patent Library and has the sole responsibility for the acquisition, distribution and maintenance of New York State government documents. In addition, the library serves as a regional library operated by the Library of Congress National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) for the blind and visually impaired in New York’s 55 upstate counties.
The Division of Library Development provides leadership and technical assistance to New York’s 73 library systems and nearly 7,000 public, school, academic and special libraries through a comprehensive program of State aid for public, school, academic and special library services working with the library community in a collaborative approach. Staff experts work with librarians, trustees, school administrators, public officials and local leaders to solve problems and find new ways of making library services and resources available to their community.
The State Librarian serves as the primary representative of the New York State Library and as a representative for libraries across the state. Other duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Work with the Board of Regents and library leaders across the State, articulate and help to lead a policy and regulatory environment that supports the needs of libraries and the communities they serve;
• Initiate and carry out strategic planning for the State Library, including the establishment of a long-term vision for the State Library and its programs within the context of the rapidly changing environment of digital media;
• Establish goals and objectives for the State Library to efficiently carry out its mission, meet its mandated functions, and effectively serve State government and the people of New York;
• Contribute to the State Education Department’s strategic plan to ensure that the role of the State Library is incorporated into the overall mission of the Department;
• Direct the organizational development of the State Library in times of varying funding levels, ensuring a balanced and effective organizational structure with trained staff to support its mission;
• Ensure that library programs and staffing reflect established and newly evolving library technologies, programs and procedures, and lead change to ensure that the State Library continues to provide innovative, user-driven library resources and services over time;
• Establish and carry out a statewide communication program to promote State Library programs, resources, and services through appearances, written reports, webinars and use of social media, as needed; and
• Oversee project planning, management, and evaluation to develop innovative, user-oriented library services.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position is in the exempt class, and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of Budget approval.
*Salary will be commensurate with Education and Experience.
APPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1095/22641) of the position in the subject line of your cover letter and email to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1095/22641) of the position in the subject line of your cover letter and email to ensure receipt of your application.