Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of administrative experience. The incumbent of this position must be comfortable with the demands of working in an office that is at the center of activities concerning the daily operations of the Office of Higher Education, be extremely flexible in hours worked and assignments to accommodate constantly changing priorities and workload. The Special Assistant must be very knowledgeable of the Department’s organization, function and mission. The ideal candidate for this position will possess proven leadership skills, the strong ability to problem solve and multi-task, have exceptional written and verbal communications skills as well as strong technology skills in Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates to fill a Special Assistant position in the Office of Higher Education. Under the direction of the Deputy Commissioner for Higher Education working in conjunction with the Director of Operations of the office of P-20, the incumbent of this position will manage the operational activities for the Office of Higher Education. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Serve as Director of Operations for the Office of Higher Education (OHE);
• Review, evaluate and monitor the business processes for respective program areas including, but not limited to, improving efficiency, service delivery to customers and promoting strong internal controls;
• Develop, oversee and monitor the budget for OHE and ensure funds are allocated effectively and efficiently;
• Serve as the liaison with the Office of Budget Coordination;
• Serve as the liaison with the Office of Human Resources Management, oversee personnel activities and identify staffing priorities;
• Manage performance improvements for higher education to ensure expected goals and deliverables are met and work closely with the Deputy Commissioner on performance improvement;
• Oversee the effective coordination of the day-to-day activities of the Deputy Commissioner’s office, including managing support staff;
• Attend meetings on behalf of the Deputy Commissioner and serve as a member of the leadership team;
• Engage in and implement long-range strategic planning as well as succession planning activities with the Deputy Commissioner;
• Serve as the liaison between Contract Administration and program offices related to Requests for Proposal development and timelines; and
• Review and approve all OHE expenditures.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Salary will be commensurate with Education and Experience.
APPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-581) in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-581) in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.