Minimum Qualifications Required:
• Bachelor’s degree with two (2) years of equivalent work experience in research or the financial industry;
• Strong data analysis skills;
• Knowledge of common investment types and sectors (e.g. equities, bonds, fixed income, mutual funds, and exchange traded funds), and alternative investment funds and vehicles (e.g. structured finance, hedge funds, and private equity);
• Excellent oral, written, and presentation communication skills;
• Ability to communicate technical concepts and results to a non-technical audience;
• Highly organized, self-directed, and curious;
• Personable and positive, with a high level of integrity; and
• Interest in public policy and social/economic justice.
• Knowledge of alternative investment funds and vehicles (e.g., structured finance, hedge funds, and private equity), experience with real estate related and other asset-backed securities or equity market structures (exchanges, order flow, execution benchmarks), and familiarity with the Bloomberg Terminal and/or similar financial data sources, is a plus.
Duties Description Goal
The Research and Analytics Department in the New York State Office of Attorney General (OAG) is seeking candidates for a full-time Financial Data Analyst position. The Financial Data Analyst will explore datasets to identify patterns, detect anomalies and bring data driven insights to OAG investigations. The goal of the data analyst at the OAG is to ensure that our most complicated cases and policy arenas are guided and supported by data driven insights, to better see otherwise elusive trends in the underlying data.
As part of an innovative team housed in the Executive Division, the Financial Data Analyst will work with senior staff and divisions throughout the OAG to support the OAG's major initiatives, investigations, and policy development. Our team researches and writes analytical reports garnering national attention, directs multi-million dollar grant programs, and supports the office’s major investigations. Utilizing a vast collection of public and confidential information the Financial Data Analyst will work with the Director of Research and Analytics and the Investor Protection Bureau - as well as bureaus throughout the OAG - to build analytic tools used to inform investigations impacting the lives of all New Yorkers.
Employing over 1,700 people across New York State, the OAG is both the “People's Lawyer” and the State's chief legal officer. The Financial Data Analyst will support OAG work in numerous legal and regulatory arenas, including protecting the rights of investors and consumers, coordinating state-wide criminal investigations, promoting economic and social justice, encouraging harm-reducing public health strategies, and preserving the State’s environment. The OAG also advises the Executive branch of State government and defends actions and proceedings on behalf of the State.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
• Analyzing data to find trends, develop summary statistics, visualizations, memos, and presentations;
• Identifying appropriate datasets, resources, methodologies, and tools to apply to a particular case or issue area;
• Cleaning, manipulating and joining datasets for comprehensive insights;
• Bringing creativity to solve problems, discovering new analytic approaches, and generate innovative ideas;
• Working closely with members of the Research and Analytics Department and the OAG bureaus to formulate action plans, communicate findings, and implement enforcement strategies;
• Analyzing issue areas and applying knowledge to data exploration – understanding industry incentives, financial instruments and structure, and identifying potential risks;
• Proposing and conducting independent and collaborative investigations into new and emerging issue areas; and
• Developing systems to collect, organize and analyze required data
Additional Comments Salary to be determined commensurate with experience.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The Office is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to workplace diversity.
PLEASE NOTE: Unless otherwise specified in the “Notes on Applying” section, the “Application Due” date associated with this posting is not the last day applications can be submitted. Applications for this position will be accepted by the hiring bureau on a rolling basis until a candidate is selected; recruitment for this position can be closed or suspended at any time. For the most current information on available position vacancies, applicants are advised to review the Office of the New York State Attorney General website (www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings) or contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Legal Recruitment Bureau - 28 Liberty St.
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY
Applications are being received online. To apply, please visit our website at http://www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings. Reference No. EXEC/RD_FA_NYC_6079
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter (You may address to Sandra Jefferson Grannum, Esq., Bureau Chief, Legal Recruitment)
• List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses
• Writing Sample
• Transcript (if less than five years postgraduate)
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions about a position with the OAG, the application process or assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov.