Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Alfred E. Smith Building
Minimum Qualifications The Latent Print Laboratory Director must have a Bachelor’s degree in Criminalistics or a natural science or a closely related field, and at least five years of case work* experience working in an accredited forensic laboratory. At least two of the five years of experience must be in either a supervisory or managerial capacity.
Essential knowledge and skills for this position include:
• Extensive knowledge of the theory, principles and practices of forensic science;
• Knowledge (not necessarily experience) relating to the field of latent fingerprint identification;
• Experience testifying in court as an expert witness;
• The ability to express ideas clearly and concisely in verbal and written communications; and
• The ability to provide leadership and to maintain professional relationships with law enforcement agencies at the federal, state, and local levels as well as the courts.
The preferred candidate should have:
• A Master’s degree;
• At least three years of experience in the Analysis, Comparison, Evaluation and Verification (ACE-V) methodology of fingerprints;
• Extensive knowledge of New York State and municipal laws, regulations, and procedures as applied to forensic science work;
• Experience working in an ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board (ANAB) accredited laboratory; and
• Strong interpersonal skills.
* Case work is defined as work examining scientific evidence in connection with legal proceedings.
Duties Description Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Identification Operations, the Latent Print Laboratory Director will direct and manage the activities of the Latent Print Laboratory. The incumbent will have direct responsibility for the daily operations of the Latent Print Laboratory. The incumbent will also be responsible for the implementation, maintenance and improvement of the policies and procedures of the Latent Print Laboratory to ensure that the laboratory is meeting current and future needs. Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
• Maintaining and instituting policies and procedures that will meet ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation standards, any other requirements of the accrediting body and other legislative and agency initiatives;
• Monitoring the Latent Print Laboratory practices to verify continuing compliance with policies and procedures related to a quality system by using internal and external assessments;
• Managing the workflow of the laboratory to ensure that requests are appropriately prioritized and ensuring that backlogs, if any, are appropriately managed;
• Representing DCJS or selecting appropriate representatives for Technical Working Group meetings, New York Crime Laboratory Advisory Council meetings and Regional Site Managers meetings;
• Identifying staff development and training needs and ensuring that training is completed;
• Preparing and submitting management reports and proficiency test reports as required by accreditation requirements;
• Representing the laboratory before the New York Commission on Forensic Science or the accrediting body;
• Preparing budget requests for the Latent Print Laboratory; and
• Ensuring staff adherence to health and safety policies, and to other safety requirements.
Additional Comments Appointment is subject to Division of Budget waiver approval.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify Sheryl Kretzler, Associate Director of Human Resources at (518) 485-1704.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Alfred E. Smith Building
Notes on ApplyingWhen applying, please send a resume plus a cover letter describing exactly how you meet all of the qualifications for this position. Reference the posting number # 60894 on your cover letter or resume.
DCJS was named to the Times Union’s list of 2017 and 2018 Top Workplaces as voted on by our employees, and received special recognition for fostering new ideas and communication.