Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Alfred E. Smith Building
Minimum Qualifications Sixty credit hours in engineering, technology, chemistry, or physics, which include at least fifteen credit hours in electronics, and: two years of experience in electronic troubleshooting, repair, maintenance, or design of solid state electronic instruments, including at least one year of involvement with micro-computer instrumentation.
Promotional Qualifications: Four years of experience as an Electronic Equipment Mechanic, SG-12.
Preferred Qualifications: The preferred candidate will have eight credit hours of Chemistry and a working knowledge of computer systems, networking and software. The candidate will also have the ability to work efficiently and effectively in a deadline-driven environment while working on a large number of tasks simultaneously.
Duties Description The Highway Safety Equipment Technician 1 works under the direction of the Highway Safety Equipment Technician 2. This position is responsible for the inspection, diagnosis, repair, modification and certification of evidential breath test devices, alcohol screening devices and all associated accessories used in the testing of alcohol impaired drivers. This position is also responsible for computer hardware and software maintenance, along with data management, report generation and data analysis associated with the evidential testing of impaired drivers. Duties include:
• Troubleshoots, diagnoses malfunctions, performs repair/modification work and maintains and certifies all types of evidential and screening breath test devices and their associated accessories.
• Troubleshoots, diagnoses malfunctions, performs repair/modification work and maintains and certifies all types of speed enforcement devices such as radar and LIDAR units and their associated accessories.
• Generates and verifies court-ready certification documents to identify any and all maintenance, repair, and modification work performed on electronic instrumentation.
• Sources and obtains inventory replacement parts required to repair instrumentation.
• Researches product specifications, performs all necessary repairs/modifications and conducts final inspections within all required standards and policies.
• Maintains both hard copy and computerized database to document all services performed on instrumentation.
• Provides expert courtroom testimony on the use, and maintenance of all instruments the Highway Safety Technology Unit services.
• Approximately 5% statewide travel. Some overtime may be required.
Additional Comments Appointment is subject to Division of Budget waiver approval.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify Sheryl Kretzler, Associate Director of Human Resources at (518) 485-1704.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Alfred E. Smith Building
Notes on ApplyingWhen applying, please send a resume plus a cover letter describing exactly how you meet all of the qualifications for this position. Reference the posting number # 60346 on your cover letter or resume.
DCJS was named to the Times Union’s list of 2017 and 2018 Top Workplaces as voted on by our employees, and received special recognition for fostering new ideas and communication.