New York State Library
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Librarian.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Senior Librarian: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in any of the following titles: Senior Librarian (Law), Senior Librarian (Medicine), Senior Librarian (Reference) or Senior Librarian (Technical Processes).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the Librarian 1 or Senior Librarian eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Cultural Education is seeking candidates for a Senior Librarian position in the Talking Book and Braille Library (TBBL) within the New York State Library (NYSL). The TBBL serves as the public library for patrons with visual and physical disabilities who cannot access and use traditional print materials in the 55 counties of upstate New York. Under the direction of the Associate Librarian, the incumbent will coordinate Reader Advisory and Reference services to a large and diverse population of patrons who receive TBBL services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Train, supervise and evaluate support staff providing library customer service via telephone and/or email and resolve patron service issues;
• Provide reference services to patrons seeking foreign language materials or titles that are difficult to find;
• Develop and implement procedures to improve patron services;
• Maintain positive relationships with library patrons and ensure those patrons receive prompt and courteous service;
• Update and maintain the TBBL’s policies and procedures for public services;
• Work with the National Library Service (NLS) to reach, maintain or exceed service standards;
• Become proficient with the Keystone Library Automation System (KLAS);
• Assist with planning, implementing and maintaining the library's public services, including Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD) administration, digital download, duplication and other services;
• Assist with the annual and bi-annual NLS reports, and other reports as requested, by Library administration;
• Formulate and update library policies for consideration and review by the Associate Librarian;
• Assist with the development of initiatives to enhance services; and
• Work with the TBBL staff, as appropriate, to develop and implement outreach strategies.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change an appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday through Friday (9:00am – 5:00pm) with rotating Saturdays.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Senior Librarian, SG-19. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Librarian 1 starts at $48,027 and, for current NYS employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the Librarian 1 level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $75,785 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by January 21, 2019 to email@example.com (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must indicate the Box number (OCE-1104/25463) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by January 21, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must indicate the Box number (OCE-1104/25463) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.