Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in finance, public or business administration or a closely related field AND a minimum of seven years of experience in the management and oversight of financial administration (budgeting, contracts, procurements, accounting) and/or personnel administration (recruitment, exam planning and development, classification) activities for a complex organization. Three of the seven years must have been served in a supervisory capacity involving policy development and decision-making authority. The ideal candidate for this position will possess proven leadership skills, the strong ability to problem solve and multi-task, have exceptional written and verbal communications skills as well as a proven track record of successfully executing complex systems and projects. Strong business acumen of public finance and state procurement law desired.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services (ACCES) is seeking applicants for the position of Special Assistant which will serve as the Director of Operations for the Deputy Commissioner for ACCES. ACCES assists individuals with disabilities across New York State to achieve and maintain employment and to support independent living. It also oversees and monitors non-degree granting proprietary schools and promotes, develops and supports adult education programs with the goal of providing successful pathways and transitions to post-secondary education, apprenticeship training, employment opportunities and the workforce. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop, oversee and monitor the Office’s federal, State and special revenue budgets and expenditure plans and serve as the liaison with the Office of Financial Administration;
• Serve as the liaison with the Office of Human Resources Management by overseeing personnel activities, identifying staffing priorities and ensuring the appropriate deployment of over 700 employees to a central administration office, 15 district offices and 10 satellite offices;
• Provide guidance and develop ACCES’ legislative initiatives and proposals and build relationships with key external partners and stakeholders;
• Review, evaluate and monitor internal business processes with the goal of improving efficiency, service delivery to customers and promoting strong internal controls;
• Engage in procurement development and oversee contracting monitoring;
• Coordinate responses to federal, State and internal audits;
• Manage the Fiscal Administration Services Team, the Data Reporting Unit and regional technical support resources;
• Provide policy development advice and guidance to the Deputy Commissioner;
• Represent the Deputy Commissioner when appropriate, including serving as a member of the leadership team in the Deputy Commissioner’s absence and as a member of SED-wide workgroups;
• Engage in and implement long-range strategic planning as well as succession planning activities with the Deputy Commissioner; and
• Partner with SED’s Office of Information Technology to design and implement technology solutions, including the replacement of ACCES’ legacy case management tracking system.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of Budget approval.
*Salary will be commensurate with Education and Experience.
APPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2202/40501) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2202/40501) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.