Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor or Master's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field plus three years experience in public accounting or internal auditing. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered for candidates with a valid audit certification such as CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or CIA (Certified Internal Auditor). Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Bachelor or Master's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field plus three years experience in public accounting or internal auditing. Current certification as a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or CIA (Certified Internal Auditor). Public accounting firm experience. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Comprehensive understanding of internal control environments within the IT function. Ability to perform IT audits of IT processes and general controls, systems, applications and security.
• Working knowledge of internal auditing procedures and professional auditing standards.
• Familiarity with the construction industry.
• Ability to observe and understand business processes ensuring processes are documented completely and accurately.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills along with good negotiation skills.
• Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills.
• Solid listening skills and ability to identify gaps in logic.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to identify sensitive issues and facilitate communications in a proactive manner to avoid surprises.
• Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to handle competing priorities and meet all deadlines and commitments.
• Demonstrated judgment and discretion in matters of confidentiality.
• Demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail.
• Leadership skills (effective project management skills - set objectives, drive results and be a team player).
• Effective critical thinking skills.
• Writing clear, concise reports for use by key stakeholders.
• Working with Management to develop solutions for any issues identified.
• Ability to identify underlying cause of an issue raised.
• Working knowledge of Standards for Internal Controls in New York State Government.
• Proficiency in PC applications such as Outlook, Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint.
Duties Description Primary Purpose
The Senior Internal Auditor assists Management in performing independent, objective and complex internal audits and analysis of DASNY operations and construction projects to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures. The Senior Internal Auditor position is characterized by significantly increased knowledge, complexity of audit assignments and independent initiative.
• Schedule, plan and conduct internal audits including field audits of construction projects and operational, compliance, financial and/or IT audits.
• Ensure audits are conducted in accordance with all applicable department and professional standards.
• Develop audit programs and testing procedures relevant to risk and test objectives.
• Review and evaluate the adequacy of accounting, financial, reporting, IT and other operating controls.
• Verify policies and procedures are being interpreted and applied properly and carried out as intended by management.
• Evaluate and appraise operations for compliance with established procedures for effectiveness and efficiency.
• Obtain and review evidence ensuring audit conclusions are well-documented at the conclusion of each audit assignment.
• Ensure audit conclusions are based on a complete understanding of the process, circumstances, and risk.
• Prepare written audit reports to document findings and recommendations.
• Evaluate, review and analyze draft audit reports, provide feedback and recommendations.
• Supervise auditors assigned to engagements providing guidance and overall review of deliverables.
• Recommend and assist with the implementation of audit initiatives; make recommendations for changes/improvements.
• Serve on various committees and perform special projects as requested by Management.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
• Evaluate risk exposures relating to information systems.
• May train and evaluate employees.
• Develop, document and implement policies and procedures.
• Assess, develop and implement internal controls, and oversee the review and testing of same.
• Undertake special assignments as directed.
• Must maintain regular attendance in accordance with DASNY attendance and leave policies.
• Must adhere to the NYS Information Security Policy Standards established and issued by the Office of Cyber Security and Critical Infrastructure Coordination. (Standards can be found on the Intranet).
Additional Comments Supervision
Supervision of employees may be required.
Requires travel (may be frequent), using public transportation, DASNY vehicle, rental vehicle or personal vehicle. This travel may include overnight stays at public accommodations and related establishments. Requires exposure to weather and temperature extremes, loud noises, heights (climbing ladders, scaffolding, etc.) and other work-safety hazards (chemicals, fumes, etc.) of a construction site. Must be available to occasionally work a modified work schedule or extended workday hours.
May be standard office environment or a construction site. Requires the use of one or more of the following: PC, telephone, fax machine, printer, copier, scanner, electronic stapler/hole punch/date stamp, shredder.
DASNY is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to excellence and diversity.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.