Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
2400 Ocean Parkway
Minimum Qualifications Four years of full-time experience in small engine maintenance and repair or welding under a skilled journey-level mechanic or welder which would provide training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprentice training in a trade or training gained by the completion of technical courses in a trade at a school or institute may be substituted for the above experience on a year-for-year basis.
Duties Description Under the supervision of higher-level personnel, the Trades Generalist at this location performs journey-level work in the primary trade of small engine maintenance and repair, and skilled and semiskilled levels of work in carpentry, painting, general masonry, plumbing maintenance and repairs
1. Performs preventive maintenance and repairs on vehicles and small engine equipment including mowers, weed eaters, blowers, etc. such as repairing tires, replacing hydraulic hoses, changing fluids, such as oil, transmission and brake, repairing and/or replacing engine hoses, etc.
2. Diagnose and repair small equipment such as but not limited to weed eaters, walk behind
and riding mowers, snow blowers, tractors and chain saws etc.
3. Repair electrical issues on utility carts, snow plows and small portable generators. Check
Performance of powered equipment and make necessary repairs as needed.
4. Perform minor repairs to motor vehicles under the supervision of higher-level trained staff.
5. Operate light trucks, passenger vehicles, snowplows, tractors and heavy equipment such as payloaders, backhoes, front-end loaders, dump trucks and garbage trucks, loads and packs as required;
6. Make recommendations to supervisor on need for specific materials needed in the performance of tasks; as authorized by supervisor, will be responsible for ordering and maintenance of adequate levels of supplies to accomplish tasks;
7. Perform minimal welding and cutting process used in the repairs of small equipment such as plow
Frames and mower decks etc.
8. Maintain machinery and equipment, making sure work areas and equipment are clean, safe and properly serviced.
9. Inspect work area and facility for safety hazards and carry out corrective actions to reduce or eliminate risk to employee and public safety; completes required safety reports;
10. May be required to load and unload materials, tools and equipment of varying weights and sizes as required in the performance of duties assigned;
11. Perform other tasks such as painting, plumbing maintenance and repairs, tree removal, storm clean-up, etc.
12. Perform other related duties as required.
Additional Comments Operational Needs:
Work schedule may vary and include weekends and holidays.
Ability to prepare job estimates and order shop supplies
Ability to follow provided instructions
Ability to lift, carry and move equipment and/or materials of different weights and sizes
Ability to work from extension ladders at various heights
Selected candidate must possess and maintain a New York State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License by
date of appointment and must obtain a CDL Class B Driver License with air brake endorsement within six months or by the end of the Probationary Period, and maintain it as a term and condition of employment. **
** Under the provisions of the Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act (1991), this position has been designated Safety Sensitive. The selected candidate is required to participate in pre-employment, random and post-accident drug and alcohol testing.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingIf you feel you meet the minimum qualifications, the Agency operating needs and are interested in being considered for this vacancy, you can obtain an Employment Application from your local office, your region’s administrative headquarters or download an application from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at www.nysparks.com. Please forward your application and resume, if available, to: Janet Grant, Personnel Office, P.O. Box 247, Babylon, NY 11702