Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Duties Description • Perform routine tasks in the repair, maintenance and servicing of automotive and mechanical equipment such as service and adjustment of hydraulic brakes, replacement of wheel bearings, and the removal and replacement of such components as starters, fuel pumps, water pumps, gas tanks, carburetors, exhaust system components, shock absorbers, springs and radiators.
• Perform minor engine repairs as well as tune-ups including the installation of points, plugs, condensers, and sets dwell and timing according to manufacturer’s specifications.
• Perform preventive maintenance inspections of vehicles and equipment following preventive maintenance schedules to insure safe and trouble free performance.
• Following specific instructions, assist journey-level positions in making major mechanical repairs by performing such tasks as disassembling and assembling engines, engine components or mechanical equipment, cleaning parts and inspecting them for wear, and performing routine machinist activities such as grinding valves and valve seats according to specifications and specific instructions.
• May operate a tow truck and other types of motor vehicles.
• Following operating manuals and specific instructions, makes repairs and performs routine service and preventive maintenance inspections on a variety of mechanical equipment. Clean or replace defective parts, makes adjustments to equipment, lubricates moving parts, and checks and fills hydraulic units.
• May perform welding using electric or oxy-acetylene welding equipment not requiring complex planning and layout or the use of special procedures.
Additional Comments Application Process:
Candidates are required to provide specific, verifiable information about their qualifying experience. This information should be on the letterhead of the employer under whom the qualifying experience was gained and include names and titles of supervisors, duties performed during the training period and specific dates of employment and be signed by that employer.
• Candidates qualifying through the completion of appropriate course work should include a copy of their transcript or listing of course work completed.
• A copy of a trade’s union card is acceptable documentary proof of qualification.
• Candidates who do not submit appropriate documentary proof that they meet the minimum qualifications will not be considered for appointment.
Per Agreement between the Civil Service Employees Association, Inc. and the State of New York, Article 45 (c) the requirement to prove qualification shall rest with the employee.
• Possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted New York State motor vehicle operator's license.
• Ability to work overtime as required.
• Ability to use the tools of all building trades.
• Knowledge of multiple building trades.
• Knowledge of multiple building trades means and methods.
• Asbestos certification required within 90 days of appointment as well as compliance with all related PESH/OSHA regulations. Successful completion of forklift training within 90 days.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.