Office of Teaching Initiatives
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Provisional Appointment: For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a bachelor’s degree AND six years of experience reviewing and making determinations regarding certification and licensure at a higher education institution or education oversight agency. Three of those years must be at a supervisory level or one year at the managerial level. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Director, Teacher Certification when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Substitution: master’s degree or juris doctorate substitutes for one year of general experience; doctorate degree substitutes for two years of general experience.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Director, Teacher Certification position in the Office of Teaching Initiatives. This Office oversees the certification process for teachers in New York State. Under the general guidance of the Coordinator of Education Programs, the Director, Teacher Certification will be responsible for the comprehensive review and implementation of policies and procedures in relation to the processing of educator certification applications. The incumbent of this position will also maintain oversight of the New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) proprietary online certification system, which is the mechanism to review and approve applications for certification and Section 211 waivers for school district personnel. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Establish priorities and provide direction on the review of certification applications and other related credentials;
• In conjunction with the Deputy Commissioner of Higher Education and Coordinator of Education Programs, make determinations for interpretation of regulatory and policy requirements;
• Review work production data and oversee the development of workload and revenue projections;
• Draft educator certification regulatory and policy proposals;
• Review legislative changes and assess impact on the certification process;
• Advise the Coordinator of Education Programs and Deputy Commissioner on educator policy implementation issues within the certification process;
• Serve as program manager with primary responsibility for day-to-day contact with the Department’s Information Technology Services staff regarding implementation and management of NYSED’s proprietary online certification system;
• Manage registration and Continuing Teacher and Leader Education (CTLE) requirements;
• Oversee the Office of Teaching Initiatives Internal Controls function;
• Provide direction to Office of Teaching Initiatives staff on the appropriate customer service approach to e-mail, regular correspondence, phone calls, walk-in customers, and fax transmissions;
• Provide guidance in managing the Office of Teaching Initiatives relationships with the Regional Certification Officers in each of the BOCES, the Human Resources Office of the New York City Department of Education, and the Certification Officers at each of the colleges with approved educator preparation programs;
• Provide technical assistance to the field and issue guidance memos;
• Oversee the maintenance of the NYSED Teacher Certification Title Crosswalk with Basic Educational Data System teaching assignment data from the Office of P-12 Education; and,
• Supervise professional staff with responsibility for all duties involved with application processing for Teacher Certification.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a non-permanent provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Director, Teacher Certification when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of the Budget approval.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $123,166 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-673/14607) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-673/14607) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.