Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Must be in a title eligible for 70.1 transfer
On or before the date of filing your application, candidates must have one of the qualifications listed below:
Either 1. Graduate of heating, HVAC, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration apprenticeship program from the U.S. Air Force;
Or 2. Must have been an enlisted machinery technician (MK) with the U.S. Coast Guard OR possession of a certificate as a Marine Engineer issued by the U.S. Coast Guard;
Or 3. Must have been an enlisted power generation equipment repairer with the U.S. Army;
Or 4. Must have been an enlisted gas turbine systems technician, submarine nuclear propulsion plant operator reactor control, utilities man, machinist mate, or engineman with the U.S. Navy;
Or 5. Must have a Merchant Mariner’s Document (MMD) and have been a qualified member of the engine department (QMED) as an oiler, fireman/water tender, refrigerating engineer or engineman with the U.S. Merchant Marine;
Or 6. Completion of a New York State Department of Labor registered apprenticeship program for stationary engineers, plant maintenance (plumber/steamfitter), HVAC Mechanic or plant maintenance (refrigeration/AC);
Or 7. Possession of a High-Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer License or Stationary Engineer License;
Or 8. A bachelor’s degree in Facilities Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Marine Engineering;
Or 9. Four years of full-time hands on experience in the maintenance and operation of commercial, industrial, institutional facility, computer applications of digital energy platforms and building analytics and/or performing diagnosis, repair of HVAC systems or boilers or auxiliary equipment;
Or 10. Four years of full-time hands on experience in a residential setting performing diagnosis, operation, maintenance repair of HVAC systems or boilers or auxiliary equipment;
Or 11. An associate’s degree in HVAC AND two years of qualifying experience as described in EITHER qualification #9 or #10 above;
Or 12. Completion of an HVAC certificate or diploma from a BOCES program (900 hours) OR completion of an approved certificate in HVAC, electrical, refrigeration, boiler operations and maintenance, or plumbing from an accredited technical school or technology college AND two years of qualifying experience as described in EITHER qualification #9 or #10 above.
Duties Description Operate steam and hot water boilers including lighting off, firing, cleaning and shutting down systems
• Operate central and auxiliary computers which monitor, test, control and operate boilers, auxiliary equipment and HVAC
• Service and maintain residential heating and air conditioning equipment.
• Conduct boiler, HVAC, and water systems testing, analyzing results and adding chemicals to maintain proper residuals in
boiler and piping systems.
• Operate large central absorption, centrifugal, screw driven and hermetic chiller systems and other refrigeration equipment.
Duties include starting, regulating and troubleshooting to maintain proper temperature.
• Will be required to perform operations and maintenance within an asbestos environment and/or supervise any asbestos
removal project being carried out by other employees or private contractors.
• Handle various types of hazardous materials, such as refrigerants, Freon, gas, fuel oil, solvents, antifreeze, biocides,
nitrates, ethanol, acids, caustic soda, regulated waste and refuse.
• Respond to incidents having potential environmental impact and/or safety concerns, such as chemical spills, oil spills and
blowouts and may be called upon to implement evacuation plans in emergency situations
• Work in confined space situations using personal protective equipment and supervise others working in confined space
using personal protective equipment
• May require daily travel within the district, as well as some travel within NY State to assist other districts with special
• Candidate will be trained in the operation and maintenance procedures as related to Asbestos Containing Materials.
• Working knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the trade or trades to which assigned
• Working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in making mechanical and routine electrical repairs to
heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, pneumatic control systems and direct digital and other
microprocessor controlled systems.
• Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Will be required to train and supervise others.
• Will be required to plan and lay out work, develop time and material lists for projects assigned
• Will be required to read and interpret plans, codes, diagrams, architectural blueprints and specifications.
• Basic computer skills preferred
• Valid NYS driver’s License
Additional Comments If you are employed by state government you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that he or she needs a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office (518) 473-9689 or Email at email@example.com to obtain information and RA forms.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
• OPWDD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.