Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Current Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services employee with permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as a Disaster Preparedness Program Representative 2 and interested in reassignment; OR current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as a Disaster Preparedness Program Representative 2; OR current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as a Fire Protection Specialist 1 and eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Individuals with current 55b/c eligibility who meet the following qualifications are encouraged to apply:
Either 1. four years of emergency management experience as listed below;*
Or 2. a specialized bachelor’s degree as listed below;**
Or 3. any bachelor’s degree AND one year of emergency management experience as listed below;*
Or 4. a specialized associate’s degree as listed below** AND two years of emergency management experience as listed below;*
Or 5. any associate’s degree AND three years of emergency management experience as listed below.*
*QUALIFYING Emergency management experience must include two or more of the following areas:
• Coordination and implementation of emergency management and disaster preparedness programs.
• Preparation or modification of disaster plans.
• Preparation, modification, presentation of disaster educational training and/or exercises.
• Gather and analyze information to produce briefings or reports or to make timely and effective incident response decisions.
• Represent an agency or organization in an Emergency Operations Center or leadership position on the Incident Command System.
• Manage or supervise logistics operations during a major emergency or disaster by overseeing the distribution or staging of equipment and supplies.
**Specialized Degree Areas: Homeland Security, Disaster or Emergency Management, Emergency Preparedness, Emergency or Public Safety Services, Disaster Resilience, Crisis, Emergency and/or Risk Management, Fire and Emergency Services, National Security, Security Studies, Disaster Science, Critical Infrastructure, Business Continuity, System Safety and Security, Business Organizational Security Management, or Public Administration. A master’s degree in one of the areas above will substitute for an additional year of experience.
Non-Qualifying Experience: The performance of only EMT, firefighter, police officer, or other first responder activity is NOT considered qualifying experience. Experience as a correction officer is NOT considered qualifying experience.
If interested applying using your 55 b/c status, please provide a copy of your current 55 b/c eligibility letter. If this is not provided with you resume you will not be considered for this position.
Employees reachable on the Disaster Preparedness Program Representative 2 Civil Service eligible list will be canvassed and should not respond to this posting. This vacancy posting is for the purposes of notifying individuals about transfer opportunities.
NOTE: A comprehensive list of titles approved for transfer to Disaster Preparedness Program Representative 3 is available in the Division of Human Resources Management or through Civil Service GOT-IT available at www.cs.ny.gov.
Duties Description Under the supervision and direction of the OEM Director or his/her designee, the incumbent will:
• Supervise Communication Specialists in the discharge of their duties, which include maintaining situational awareness, managing and compiling information for various sources, and disseminating that information in a concise and professional manner to decision makers.
• Administrative duties to include processing time cards, approving leave requests, conducting interviews of potential new hires, and completing performance evaluations for the staff assigned to you.
• Work in a time-sensitive environment to rapidly access emerging incidents and manage a team of Communication Specialists that must vet information to accurately brief agency executives.
• Develop and regularly conduct training for the staff assigned to you, and work with other sections in DHSES/OEM to ensure staff complete their initial and annual trainings.
• Interact with local, state and federal government agencies and officials at all levels via telephone, email and in person.
• Review and approval reports (both planned and unplanned) for thoroughness and compliance with recognized standards prior to dissemination.
• Maintain proficiency in, conduct regular tests of, and schedule maintenance of multiple types of technology and communications equipment and numerous commercial and customized software programs.
• Maintain a regular, timely and accurate flow of information with other supervisors, management and executive staff as necessary.
• Maintain necessary supply cache’s and exercise and prepare equipment needed to operate redundant capabilities at off-site locations.
• Professionally and adequately supervise Communication Specialists in a positive, reassuring way that promotes individual and team development.
• Assist with the development and maintenance of policies and procedures for the New York State Watch Center.
• Support the emergency functions of the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC).
• Other duties as assigned that are in support of the mission or other program areas.
SHIFT: Saturday – Wednesday 10PM to 6AM
*Work schedule may vary based on operational needs. Travel will be required.
Additional Comments NOTE: Support of operations during times of emergency and disaster from State Emergency Operations Center (EOC), state field offices and/or local deployments may be required, which would result in a change and/or increase in working hours, locations and/or duties.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.