Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Swan Street Building, Core 4
Minimum Qualifications One year of permanent competitive service as a Training Specialist 1 (formerly Agency Training and Development Specialist 1), SG18, or in a title at SG16 or above deemed administrative under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law, or in a title approved for transfer to this title under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Consecutive transfers resulting in an advancement of more than two salary grades are not permitted under Civil Service Law.
Trainee Specialist Trainee, NS: Open to NYS employees with one year of permanent competitive service as a Training Specialist Trainee, NS; OR in a position approved for transfer to the trainee level under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law, or in a position deemed administrative for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. The transfer cannot be a second, consecutive transfer resulting in an advancement of more than two grades.
Candidates with at least one year of permanent competitive service in a title allocated to SG11 or higher and who have standing on the PCO eligible lists; OR candidates with a bachelor’s degree and who are active on the PATT eligible list, may be eligible for transfer to the Trainee level under the provisions of Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law.
Candidates eligible for consideration under the Governor's Program to Hire Persons/Veterans with Disabilities pursuant to Section 55-b/c of the Civil Service Law will also be considered. Individuals certified eligible for the 55-b/c program must possess a bachelor's degree to meet the education qualifications for the traineeship, or possess a bachelor’s degree and meet the required minimum qualifications listed for the select job title on the PCO page: http://www.cs.ny.gov/pco/title-details/title for consideration for the SG18 level. Please provide a copy of your letter of eligibility and a copy of your unofficial transcript with your response.
Salary range above applies to candidates appointed to Training Specialist 1, SG18. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Training Specialist Trainee 1 starts at $42,986 and is based on the candidate's salary at the time of hire. Candidates hired into the traineeship will be advanced to Training Specialist 1 title upon the successful completion of a two-year traineeship.
• Experience with Lectora and Camtasia.
• Experience with Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS)
• Experience in video and audio recording tools, media and/or film development.
• Experience working with Adobe design software, specifically: Flash, Muse, Premiere, Edge suite, InDesign, Photoshop; and eLearning development software: Camtasia, Adobe Captivate, Articulate Storyline, Lectora, or similar.
• Working knowledge of the resources, methodology and trends in learning and development, and the theory, principles and techniques of learning and development and course instruction.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, to training participants and agency program staff.
• Ability to write descriptive materials in a clear and concise manner.
Duties Description Under the supervision of a Training Specialist 2, the Training Specialist 1 plans, develops, and delivers courses in business, supervisory, and administrative subject areas, as well as technical training on specific topics, using a variety of modalities. This includes the development and delivery of online (eLearning) and offline (instructor-led) learning opportunities, as well as blended learning. The incumbent works with the Training Specialist 2 to determine the learning and development needs of agency program areas, discuss and document requirements with program managers, and recommend programs designed to address these needs. The Training Specialist 1 works with program area management to develop and disseminate training announcements and information regarding opportunities for ongoing education. The incumbent selects audio/visual media as appropriate to enhance the delivery of course content and delivers training on identified topics. Working with agency end-user staff, the incumbent addresses questions regarding specific learning and development offerings, and/or provides information or course applications for staff interested in taking a particular course/offering. The Training Specialist 1 may assist other department staff in areas of Learning Quality Assurance: responding to end-user issues or questions submitted to a shared phone and mailbox; troubleshooting of issues related to Learning-related systems, applications, or services; and general inquiries.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Identifies specific training needs and program requirements through discussion and documentation with managers and staff and review of agency programs.
• Recommends specialized training courses to resolve problems or to familiarize staff with new programs, policies or procedures.
• Develops a training program to meet identified needs, determining course content and method of presentation, and obtaining training materials.
• Selects and incorporates audiovisual teaching aids using design software, eLearning development software, and other available tools.
• Coordinates training courses including scheduling and setting up classroom space, and obtaining required equipment and supplies, etc.
• Facilitates training or engages outside instructors to present as needed
• Ensures outside instructors' proposed training align with required course outlines and objectives.
• Maintains records of employees interested in specific training programs.
• Prepares proposals to utilize funds for training programs per negotiated union agreements, and for Management/Confidential training.
• Updates training manuals with the assistance of the Training Specialist 2.
Additional Comments This position is pending DOB approval. Some positions may require fingerprinting. Selected candidates who are new or returning to NYS service may be required to pay for fingerprinting fees.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
PO Box 2062
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to the attention of Louise C. Nails, no later than January 16, 2019 and indicate that you are applying for Training Specialist 1, Ref# 00290HRS. In your cover letter, please clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications as stated above, and describe relevant experience for this position. Your Social Security number may be required in order to confirm your eligibility.