Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
7150 Republic Airport
Minimum Qualifications Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university and seven years of satisfactory experience planning and managing operational and capital budgets, and managing large projects from concept through implementation. Five years of this experience must include directing general aviation and/or commercial airfield operations or airport facilities administration, and two years of this experience must include managerial experience. A Masters’ degree in an engineering or transportation-related field may substitute for one year of the required experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Demonstrated knowledge of Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations; advisory circulars; and other federal and state requirements relevant to the operation of a Part 139 airport. A proven record of working with airport tenants, pilots, vendors, contractors, government agencies and the general public.
Duties Description Republic Airport (KFRG) is a general aviation public-use airport located in East Farmingdale, New York. The Airport is owned by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) and is currently operated by an airport management company. In addition, capital projects at the Airport are managed under a separate capital management contract. The airport operations and capital management companies are supervised by an Airport Director employed directly by NYSDOT. NYSDOT is seeking the services of a qualified individual with airport management, marketing, and development experience to fulfill the responsibilities of the Airport Director. The successful incumbent will be responsible for representing New York State’s interest in any and all Airport management and business development activities at Republic. The official station for this position will be at Republic Airport. The Airport Director will report directly to the Assistant Commissioner for the Policy and Planning Division and will work cooperatively with NYSDOT’s Aviation Bureau in Albany, NY.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Direct and manage the airport operations and capital management contracts;
• Provide policy and program guidance to the capital management company in support of grant opportunities and applications to the FAA and other federal and State agencies;
• Oversee the preparation and updates to the Airport’s Capital Improvement Plan (CIP);
• Direct the implementation of federal and/or State aided capital projects;
• Oversee the development of airport related projects including design, environmental compliance, construction and construction inspection;
• Direct airport operations performed under contract, including but not limited to, airside and land side building maintenance; snow removal; repairs to roads, taxiways and aprons; airport security and safety-related activities such as firefighting;
• Manage the development, administration and renewal of leases for tenants at the Airport in coordination with NYSDOT Main Office staff;
• Oversee enforcement of NYS Code standards compliance;
• Ensure the airport is in compliance with all applicable federal and state requirements;
• Assist NYSDOT Main Office in efforts to market and develop the airport, including efforts to maximize revenues at the airport;
• Ensure that all airport rules, regulations, and plans are updated as needed, including the Emergency Management Plan, which includes coordination with State and Federal agencies, in response to natural and man-made disasters in the region;
• Provide support for and guidance to the Republic Airport Commission (a body of local citizens appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate) and evaluate their advice with respect to the administration and operations management of the Airport;
• Coordinate with appropriate NYSDOT Region 10 and Main Office Public Information Officers in assessing public relations issues and responding to inquiries from the public about Airport operations and capital projects;
• Serve as NYSDOT’s liaison with local, State, and federal authorities on all Airport-related issues;
• Provide budget and policy support to the Assistant Commissioner for the Policy and Planning Division; and
• In coordination with Airport’s management firm, update and enforce Republic Airport security procedures. Coordinate with local, State and Federal agencies on security issues.
Successful candidates will possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Comprehensive knowledge of airport or aviation management, including development and implementation of safety programs involving every aspect of Airport operations and delivery of airport-related capital projects;
• Knowledge of all relevant State and Federal regulations governing the use and occupancy of airports;
• Familiarity with the general aviation issues relevant to the region;
• Thorough knowledge of Airport operational areas;
• Ability to work with a consultant team to market and develop the services of the airport;
• Ability to communicate effectively and maintain working relationships with State and Federal officials, elected officials, local governments, business organizations, representatives of the media and the public;
• Ability to prepare accurate and reliable reports containing findings, recommendations and conclusions on airport operations and procedures;
• Ability to manage, coordinate, and evaluate the work of others;
• Ability to respond to emergencies at the Airport on a 24/7 basis; and
• Ability to quickly learn the goals and objectives of the State regarding the airport, and work effectively to implement policies and programs in coordination with NYSDOT management.
Additional Comments Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
50 Wolf Road, 1PL
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume no later than April 5, 2019, to:
NYS Department of Transportation
Lisa Snow, Director, Human Resources Management
Attn: Dawn Ferrier
50 Wolf Road, 1PL
Albany, NY 12232
PLEASE INCLUDE THE TITLE AND ITEM NUMBER IN THE SUBJECT LINE WHEN RESPONDING.